Get-hooked December 20, 2019
#NewzHook2019 Campaign on love and disability
All through this year Newz Hook ran campaigns that captured various aspects of disability. We kicked off with a campaign on couples in the month of February. Couples who show everyday that disability is no better to finding love and partnership.
1. Chennai couple Visakan Rajendiran and Shalini Visakan who met through an online matrimonial service. The couple admired each other’s attitude towards disability and found that they had a lot in common.
2. Krishna Tashi and Stanzen Nyentak’s love story comes from Manali and is a beautiful example of love overcoming the barriers of disability. When Krishna had given up all hopes of finding love, she met Stanzen Nyentak, an artist who wanted to marry her despite her disability.
3. Anitha and Immanuel from Puducherry fell in love and got married and their love has continued to grow stronger over the years. While Anitha is disabled and Immanuel is not, the couple has survived the negativity of others around them and continue to cherish each other.
4. The love story of Guruprasad T.S. and Swarnalatha J breaks the notions we have about love. Swarnalatha was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS) after marriage and found a supporting, loving and caring husband in Guruprasad.
5. Nafisa and Parvez Buhariwala grew up in the same neighbourhood and found that they suited each other the best despite many differences. They continue to cherish the companionship and are happy to have found each other.
6. Danish Mahajan the founder of Radio Udaan met Shilpa Kashyap and was instantly attracted to her simple, soft-spoken nature. While Danish is an outgoing person, Shilpa is an introvert and the two complete each other.
7. Senthil Kumar was attracted to the positivity, grit and determination in Raghavi Shankar’s personality. The couple motivate each other to go on in life and are helping others through their organization- The Headway Foundation.
8. Disability rights crusader Unni Maxx and Sreeparvathy became friends and then decided to get married after falling in love. Unni Maxx’s fearless attitude, jovial nature and love towards life makes him the ideal partner for Sreeparvathy.
9. It was after a few years of their marriage that the love between Shishir and Nishi Bhatnagar was tested by the challenges of disability. An accident made the couple realize that nothing could diminish their feelings for each other.
10. For disability right activist Dr Satendra Singh it was love at the first sight when he met Ranjita Phalswal. Fifteen years and two children later, the couple still feels the same way about each other.
Watch in Sign Language
Support us to make NewzHook Sustainable – Make a Contribution Today
We need your continued support to enable us work towards Changing Attitudes towards Disability. Help us in our attempt to share the voices of people with disabilities that enable them to participate in the society on an equal footing!