My Life With 'Purpose' - My Take by Lalithkumar Natarajan
It all started on the night of 25 January 1991 after the Doordarshan News. I remember walking to bed and that is the last time I did anything on my own!
Something called Transverse Myelitis affected my spinal cord and left me with the label of a person with disability. My spinal cord was affected and I was left non-functional below the waist and impaired sensation to touch and pains.
It came as a blow to me and my family that this is permanent. My ambition was to become a naval pilot, inspired by Shah Rukh Khan’s TV serial Fauji, and I dreamed of looking fit and handsome in the military uniform. It was difficult to accept that the 'DREAM' would remain just a dream.
Luckily my family was ready for the struggle. We stayed on the first floor of a building and life was difficult and depressing. But I am a spiritual guy, and I believe that this has pushed me to move forward. A power inside me said that I was here with 'PURPOSE'.
Today God willing we are able to help 150 PwD across India. I have retrofitted a Royal Enfield Bullet Desert storm 500c which lovingly I call my 'WARHORSE', on which I aim to do my ride. My ride has one motive - Nothing is impossible when you put your heart and soul in it. As PwD, we have to accommodate reasonably and start moving ahead.
My aim is to create awareness about the rights of PwD and establish CDEEARR - Center for Disability Education Employment Advocacy Research & Rehabilitation. CDEEARR will identify the PwD and give a helping hand to help them live their life with dignity.
I appeal to the world to look at the ride not as an adventure ride. I seek support in sponsorship, accommodations, backup vehicles and so on. This noble cause is with purpose, and I request you to be a part of it. Please extend your support to help our DEAR RIDE bring change in the lives of people with special needs.About the Writer
Lalithkumar Natarajan is the founder of Love and Acceptance, an organisation that works towards creating awareness about the rights of PwD. He is going to ride 4,200 km from Kanyakumari to Khardung La to inform them about services they can get for free through his NGO. To support his cause, you can reach him at 9894840914/9597330005.
Watch in Sign Language
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Accessibility February 19, 2019 Kerala government launches projects to empower visually impaired people
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Headlines February 20, 2019 Two jets crash ahead of Bengaluru Aero India event, one pilot dies
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Get-hooked February 20, 2019 Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 11, 2019
Get-hooked February 8, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News