My Life With 'Purpose' - My Take by Lalithkumar Natarajan
May 8, 2017
It all started on the night of 25 January 1991 after the Doordarshan News. I remember walking to bed and that is the last time I did anything on my own!
Something called Transverse Myelitis affected my spinal cord and left me with the label of a person with disability. My spinal cord was affected and I was left non-functional below the waist and impaired sensation to touch and pains.
It came as a blow to me and my family that this is permanent. My ambition was to become a naval pilot, inspired by Shah Rukh Khan's TV serial Fauji, and I dreamed of looking fit and handsome in the military uniform. It was difficult to accept that the 'DREAM' would remain just a dream.
Luckily my family was ready for the struggle. We stayed on the first floor of a building and life was difficult and depressing. But I am a spiritual guy, and I believe that this has pushed me to move forward. A power inside me said that I was here with 'PURPOSE'.
Today God willing we are able to help 150 PwD across India. I have retrofitted a Royal Enfield Bullet Desert storm 500c which lovingly I call my 'WARHORSE', on which I aim to do my ride. My ride has one motive - Nothing is impossible when you put your heart and soul in it. As PwD, we have to accommodate reasonably and start moving ahead.
My aim is to create awareness about the rights of PwD and establish CDEEARR - Center for Disability Education Employment Advocacy Research & Rehabilitation. CDEEARR will identify the PwD and give a helping hand to help them live their life with dignity.
I appeal to the world to look at the ride not as an adventure ride. I seek support in sponsorship, accommodations, backup vehicles and so on. This noble cause is with purpose, and I request you to be a part of it. Please extend your support to help our DEAR RIDE bring change in the lives of people with special needs.About the Writer
Lalithkumar Natarajan is the founder of Love and Acceptance, an organisation that works towards creating awareness about the rights of PwD. He is going to ride 4,200 km from Kanyakumari to Khardung La to inform them about services they can get for free through his NGO. To support his cause, you can reach him at 9894840914/9597330005.
Watch in Sign Language
- Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
April 20, 2019
- Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
April 20, 2019
- #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
April 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 How to help a person with autism feel calm
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News