India's only blind foreign service officer makes waves in France
May 3, 2017
Beno Zephine, the only blind person ever to be recruited to the Indian Foreign Service is impressing diplomats in Paris in France.
Zephine, who joined the IFS in 2014, has been posted at the Indian embassy in Paris for seven months. This is her first overseas posting.
She is taking lessons in the French language from a blind teacher who can write French in Braille.
New recruits to the IFS have to learn a foreign language in their first posting. Zephine has loved French for a long time and had tried to learn the language in Chennai where she was born. The French government is amazed that India has taken the challenging and unconventional step of recruiting a blind girl as a diplomat and posting her abroad. Her seniors at the Indian embassy have sent her to eight diplomatic conferences to represent the embassy on her own. She has been a hit at each of these.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 21, 2019 All IPL 2019 matches will be played in India
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Global brand IKEA goes accessible, launches 3D printable furniture pieces
- Headlines March 23, 2019 At least 47 killed, over 600 injured in explosion in China
- Events March 17, 2019 Accessible Text Creation Workshop
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Trailer of biopic PM Narendra Modi gets over one million views
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Rahul Gandhi PM Modi over chowkidaar campaign
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Medical Council of India changes postgraduate admission rules only for students with locomotor disabilities
- Events March 20, 2019 Downs syndrome free assessment camp
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News