India's only blind foreign service officer makes waves in France
Beno Zephine, the only blind person ever to be recruited to the Indian Foreign Service is impressing diplomats in Paris in France.
Zephine, who joined the IFS in 2014, has been posted at the Indian embassy in Paris for seven months. This is her first overseas posting.
She is taking lessons in the French language from a blind teacher who can write French in Braille.
New recruits to the IFS have to learn a foreign language in their first posting. Zephine has loved French for a long time and had tried to learn the language in Chennai where she was born. The French government is amazed that India has taken the challenging and unconventional step of recruiting a blind girl as a diplomat and posting her abroad. Her seniors at the Indian embassy have sent her to eight diplomatic conferences to represent the embassy on her own. She has been a hit at each of these.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 23, 2019 3 top cricket awards for Virat in 2018
- Events January 23, 2019 State Level Workshop on Sustainable Development & Accessible Empowerment of Deaf
- Parasports January 22, 2019 Champions with disabilities display guts & glory at the 2019 Tata Mumbai Marathon
- Headlines January 23, 2019 Indian-origin Kamala Harris to run for U.S president
- Parasports January 23, 2019 Para badminton camp in Mumbai seeks to nurture talent, attract support
- Technology January 23, 2019 Inspiration is just a phone call away thanks to EnAble Vaani
- Get-hooked January 23, 2019 The Headway Foundation's annual Rendezvous promises some exciting announcements
- Events January 17, 2019 India Art Festival- IAF
- Get-hooked January 23, 2019 Some things to avoid when you parent a child with autism
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Amputee Mayur Dumasia's 5-state cycling expedition is an inspiration to all
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News