India's only blind foreign service officer makes waves in France
Beno Zephine, the only blind person ever to be recruited to the Indian Foreign Service is impressing diplomats in Paris in France.
Zephine, who joined the IFS in 2014, has been posted at the Indian embassy in Paris for seven months. This is her first overseas posting.
She is taking lessons in the French language from a blind teacher who can write French in Braille.
New recruits to the IFS have to learn a foreign language in their first posting. Zephine has loved French for a long time and had tried to learn the language in Chennai where she was born. The French government is amazed that India has taken the challenging and unconventional step of recruiting a blind girl as a diplomat and posting her abroad. Her seniors at the Indian embassy have sent her to eight diplomatic conferences to represent the embassy on her own. She has been a hit at each of these.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility October 14, 2018 This disabled girl from Kerala is fighting roadblocks to get a driver’s license
- Parasports October 17, 2018 Deepak Malik's century gives India lead against Sri Lanka in Blind Cricket Twenty20 series
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 An open letter to Goa Governor, Mridula Sinha - My Take by Monika Kshatriya
- Accessibility October 12, 2018 A Durga Puja pandal in Kolkata that is accessible to visually impaired people
- Parasports October 14, 2018 India win Blind Cricket Tri Series final, beat Sri Lanka by 10 wickets
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 Supreme Court raps Haryana government for denying disabled students' MBBS admission
- Parasports October 15, 2018 Top sports brand Nike's move to sign up athlete with cerebral palsy hailed
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 Staying fit with a disability is easy, here are some tips
- Parasports October 18, 2018 Prime Minister Modi meets India's Para Asian Games players
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 ALFAA centre for people with autism has a story of remarkable spirit behind it
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked October 12, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News