West Bengal teen shows that cerebral palsy no barrier to studying science
17-year-old Tuhin Dey, has severe cerebral palsy and can barely stand on his feet and move his hands. Yet, he is giving tough competition to his batchmates in a coaching institute for IITs in Kota.
Dey dreams of becoming a physicist and cosmologist like Stephen Hawking. He wants to pursue his B.Tech from IIT Kharagpur followed by a Masters from Oxford University.
When he was a small boy, Dey was diagnosed with Ortho Graphosis Multiplex disease, which has made his tissues weak. He will get a writer in the exams but then he has developed the amazing skill of writing from the mouth.
Dey unwraps books, holds a pen in his mouth to write and uses his lips to use mobile and laptop with as much confidence as any one else.
He has won awards from President Pranab Mukherjee. In 2012, the government awarded him best creative child followed by exceptional achievement award in 2013.
Dey has undergone 20 operations so he can stand for a while in a stretch. His parents are doing their best to support him. They even left their native place in Midnapore in West Bengal to live with him.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 Goa Governor’s comment about blind people raises hackles
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 High time to bid goodbye to idioms that mock the disabled community
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh will now be known as Prayagraj
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 This special school in Madurai focuses on various therapies for disabled children
- Parasports October 15, 2018 Top sports brand Nike's move to sign up athlete with cerebral palsy hailed
- Parasports October 18, 2018 Prime Minister Modi meets India's Para Asian Games players
- Get-hooked October 13, 2018 Government announces scholarships for students with disabilities
- Headlines October 16, 2018 Over 70 cases of Zika virus reported in Rajasthan
- Accessibility October 13, 2018 Feedback sought on issues faced by visually impaired people while using PayTM
- Accessibility October 14, 2018 This disabled girl from Kerala is fighting roadblocks to get a driver’s license
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News