West Bengal teen shows that cerebral palsy no barrier to studying science
17-year-old Tuhin Dey, has severe cerebral palsy and can barely stand on his feet and move his hands. Yet, he is giving tough competition to his batchmates in a coaching institute for IITs in Kota.
Dey dreams of becoming a physicist and cosmologist like Stephen Hawking. He wants to pursue his B.Tech from IIT Kharagpur followed by a Masters from Oxford University.
When he was a small boy, Dey was diagnosed with Ortho Graphosis Multiplex disease, which has made his tissues weak. He will get a writer in the exams but then he has developed the amazing skill of writing from the mouth.
Dey unwraps books, holds a pen in his mouth to write and uses his lips to use mobile and laptop with as much confidence as any one else.
He has won awards from President Pranab Mukherjee. In 2012, the government awarded him best creative child followed by exceptional achievement award in 2013.
Dey has undergone 20 operations so he can stand for a while in a stretch. His parents are doing their best to support him. They even left their native place in Midnapore in West Bengal to live with him.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 Kochi Metro gets thumbs up for accessibility features
- Get-hooked February 21, 2019 ‘Punarjani’ gives new lease of life to disabled flood victims in Kerala
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Infosys Foundation announces Rs 10 lakh to families of martyrs of Pulwama attack
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News