West Bengal teen shows that cerebral palsy no barrier to studying science
17-year-old Tuhin Dey, has severe cerebral palsy and can barely stand on his feet and move his hands. Yet, he is giving tough competition to his batchmates in a coaching institute for IITs in Kota.
Dey dreams of becoming a physicist and cosmologist like Stephen Hawking. He wants to pursue his B.Tech from IIT Kharagpur followed by a Masters from Oxford University.
When he was a small boy, Dey was diagnosed with Ortho Graphosis Multiplex disease, which has made his tissues weak. He will get a writer in the exams but then he has developed the amazing skill of writing from the mouth.
Dey unwraps books, holds a pen in his mouth to write and uses his lips to use mobile and laptop with as much confidence as any one else.
He has won awards from President Pranab Mukherjee. In 2012, the government awarded him best creative child followed by exceptional achievement award in 2013.
Dey has undergone 20 operations so he can stand for a while in a stretch. His parents are doing their best to support him. They even left their native place in Midnapore in West Bengal to live with him.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 13, 2018 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Headlines December 8, 2018 Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje accuses opposition leader of body-shaming
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
- Parasports December 11, 2018 Protest by Kerala para sportspersons to draw attention to struggle for facilities, funding
- Events December 11, 2018 Annual Party Forum For Autism
- Headlines December 8, 2018 PM Narendra Modi meets UP Chief Minister on Bulandshahr violence
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Intellectual Disability
- Headlines December 11, 2018 RBI Governor Urjit Patel resigns
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 10, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News