West Bengal teen shows that cerebral palsy no barrier to studying science
October 7, 2017
17-year-old Tuhin Dey, has severe cerebral palsy and can barely stand on his feet and move his hands. Yet, he is giving tough competition to his batchmates in a coaching institute for IITs in Kota.
Dey dreams of becoming a physicist and cosmologist like Stephen Hawking. He wants to pursue his B.Tech from IIT Kharagpur followed by a Masters from Oxford University.
When he was a small boy, Dey was diagnosed with Ortho Graphosis Multiplex disease, which has made his tissues weak. He will get a writer in the exams but then he has developed the amazing skill of writing from the mouth.
Dey unwraps books, holds a pen in his mouth to write and uses his lips to use mobile and laptop with as much confidence as any one else.
He has won awards from President Pranab Mukherjee. In 2012, the government awarded him best creative child followed by exceptional achievement award in 2013.
Dey has undergone 20 operations so he can stand for a while in a stretch. His parents are doing their best to support him. They even left their native place in Midnapore in West Bengal to live with him.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Supreme Court orders release of arrested journalist
- Events June 13, 2019 Read for Mental Health
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Headlines June 11, 2019 PM says Rahul yet to recover from poll loss
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Events June 11, 2019 Maximising Progress in Autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News