Towards a world of dignity for the elderly - My Take by Veena K T
Spandana Foundation was started in the basement of my house in Bengaluru in May 2006. Now it’s been 11 years and we are getting ready to celebrate the occasion in a big way.
We support many programs for the welfare of the elderly, people with disabilities and children. We have a special focus on the elderly as their needs tend to get neglected.
Last year, we started a free lunch program for senior citizens at Rajajinagar in association with Sumadhura Darshini, a neighbourhood restaurant. At first, we were reaching out to about 50 elders. Today the number is over 400.
Senior citizens who have registered with Spandana are given ID cards which they show at the hotel. They can order anything on the menu. We also have many elders with disabilities who are registered with us. They cannot come to the hotel so their caretakers take the food in a parcel.
The people we are reaching out to are truly the needy. Many of them are neglected, even abandoned by their children.
There are many challenges in running this free meal program but when we see the happiness we feel it’s worth expanding this program. We also get a lot of support in the form of donations so it helps to keep this going. We are planning to tie up with other restaurants to reach more elders.
About the Writer
Veena K T is the president and managing trustee of Spandana Foundation, a group that is committed towards building a better society. If you would like to contribute towards this initiative, contact Spandana at 096203-59972.
Watch in Sign Language
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
- 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
December 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 11, 2018 Farmer sells 2,000-kg onion for 6/-, sends money to top politician
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Kamal Nath will be Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Why is Speech Therapy important? Some information
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
- Events December 11, 2018 Forging the Assistive Technology value chain
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Praangan is meeting educational needs of children with disorders
- Get-hooked December 16, 2018 Health Problems in children with Autism
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Badminton players Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap are married
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 14, 2018
Get-hooked December 10, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018