Towards a world of dignity for the elderly - My Take by Veena K T
May 12, 2017
Spandana Foundation was started in the basement of my house in Bengaluru in May 2006. Now it's been 11 years and we are getting ready to celebrate the occasion in a big way.
We support many programs for the welfare of the elderly, people with disabilities and children. We have a special focus on the elderly as their needs tend to get neglected.
Last year, we started a free lunch program for senior citizens at Rajajinagar in association with Sumadhura Darshini, a neighbourhood restaurant. At first, we were reaching out to about 50 elders. Today the number is over 400.
Senior citizens who have registered with Spandana are given ID cards which they show at the hotel. They can order anything on the menu. We also have many elders with disabilities who are registered with us. They cannot come to the hotel so their caretakers take the food in a parcel.
The people we are reaching out to are truly the needy. Many of them are neglected, even abandoned by their children.
There are many challenges in running this free meal program but when we see the happiness we feel it's worth expanding this program. We also get a lot of support in the form of donations so it helps to keep this going. We are planning to tie up with other restaurants to reach more elders.
About the Writer
Veena K T is the president and managing trustee of Spandana Foundation, a group that is committed towards building a better society. If you would like to contribute towards this initiative, contact Spandana at 096203-59972.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Wheelchair no barrier for a fit & healthy lifestyle, here's why
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Technology June 12, 2019 Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
- Employment June 17, 2019 SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Dark Pheonix brings alive the magic of Stan Lee's superheroes yet again
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Budding poet Neerada uses words to shatter notions about autism
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 These surprise gift boxes by Little Trovebox has people hooked
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News