Towards a world of dignity for the elderly - My Take by Veena K T
Spandana Foundation was started in the basement of my house in Bengaluru in May 2006. Now it’s been 11 years and we are getting ready to celebrate the occasion in a big way.
We support many programs for the welfare of the elderly, people with disabilities and children. We have a special focus on the elderly as their needs tend to get neglected.
Last year, we started a free lunch program for senior citizens at Rajajinagar in association with Sumadhura Darshini, a neighbourhood restaurant. At first, we were reaching out to about 50 elders. Today the number is over 400.
Senior citizens who have registered with Spandana are given ID cards which they show at the hotel. They can order anything on the menu. We also have many elders with disabilities who are registered with us. They cannot come to the hotel so their caretakers take the food in a parcel.
The people we are reaching out to are truly the needy. Many of them are neglected, even abandoned by their children.
There are many challenges in running this free meal program but when we see the happiness we feel it’s worth expanding this program. We also get a lot of support in the form of donations so it helps to keep this going. We are planning to tie up with other restaurants to reach more elders.
About the Writer
Veena K T is the president and managing trustee of Spandana Foundation, a group that is committed towards building a better society. If you would like to contribute towards this initiative, contact Spandana at 096203-59972.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility February 11, 2019 Citizen activism pays off, gurdwara in East Delhi takes steps to make worship accessible for all
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Munambam Beach in Kerala all set to become disabled-friendly
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 3, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019