Special iPads for PwD to be given in Tamil Nadu
May 10, 2017
The Commissionerate of the Welfare of the Differently Abled in Tamil Nadu will soon begin distributing special devices to all districts to help in communication through pictures and speech synthesis.
The device is an Apple iPad, which will be loaded with Avaz, a software developed by a former IIT Madras student. The market rate of each is Rs 25,000.
The application offers a series of pictures, which may be selected to express one's thoughts. Or a combination of picture selection and typing of small words through the on-screen keyboard can also be used.
For those who have lesser motor control, there is a scanning option that allows a user to press anywhere. They will get a set of narrowed-down options till the right one is reached.
Special educators are also being trained to help children with the device. There will be a training workshop where close to 130 persons will be trained.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Events June 11, 2019 Nurturing The Green Week’ 2019 - World Environment day
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Providing service with care & compassion is the mantra for Walktors At Home
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News