Special iPads for PwD to be given in Tamil Nadu
The Commissionerate of the Welfare of the Differently Abled in Tamil Nadu will soon begin distributing special devices to all districts to help in communication through pictures and speech synthesis.
The device is an Apple iPad, which will be loaded with Avaz, a software developed by a former IIT Madras student. The market rate of each is Rs 25,000.
The application offers a series of pictures, which may be selected to express one’s thoughts. Or a combination of picture selection and typing of small words through the on-screen keyboard can also be used.
For those who have lesser motor control, there is a scanning option that allows a user to press anywhere. They will get a set of narrowed-down options till the right one is reached.
Special educators are also being trained to help children with the device. There will be a training workshop where close to 130 persons will be trained.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Get-hooked February 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019