Special iPads for PwD to be given in Tamil Nadu
May 10, 2017
The Commissionerate of the Welfare of the Differently Abled in Tamil Nadu will soon begin distributing special devices to all districts to help in communication through pictures and speech synthesis.
The device is an Apple iPad, which will be loaded with Avaz, a software developed by a former IIT Madras student. The market rate of each is Rs 25,000.
The application offers a series of pictures, which may be selected to express one's thoughts. Or a combination of picture selection and typing of small words through the on-screen keyboard can also be used.
For those who have lesser motor control, there is a scanning option that allows a user to press anywhere. They will get a set of narrowed-down options till the right one is reached.
Special educators are also being trained to help children with the device. There will be a training workshop where close to 130 persons will be trained.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Court order paves way for woman without fingerprints to get Aadhaar card
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on managing your own career for people with visual impairments
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 #AutismPower - Arun Prasad inspires young people with autism to live life independently
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News