Meet Pooja Vijay, India's first stuttering comedienne
October 22, 2017
27-year old Pooja Vijay has a pronounced stutter, a quality that is regarded as a disability. But she has made this an asset or an advantage by using it to make her mark in standup comedy shows.
Pooja, who currently lives in Delhi, is from Tamil Nadu and lived most of her life in Bengaluru before moving to Delhi. She has performed in major cities around India and has collaborated with established comedians.
She says many people have congratulated her for performances. A large part of her stand up comedy is laughing at herself and her manner of speech. She says laughter is a good way to address the attitudes towards disorders like hers.
Pooja has also been featured by the Stuttering Foundation, a US-based non-profit organisation, that provides free online resources, services and support to stutterers and their families.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 20, 2019 Anxiety Disorders & Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Encephalitis deaths rise across Bihar, M.P under alert
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Understanding Deafblindness
- Headlines June 22, 2019 India deploys warships in view of US-Iran conflict
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Parenting Corner - Parent’s role in education
- Accessibility June 24, 2019 Buttons 2 Button is an adaptive clothing idea straight from a mom's heart
- Parasports June 19, 2019 Tamil Nadu set to rock the National Wheelchair Basketball Championship
- Education June 24, 2019 Inclusive Education - Challenges and Barriers - Guest column by Rukmini Krishnaswamy
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Encephalitis kills 108 people in Bihar
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News