Meet Pooja Vijay, India's first stuttering comedienne
October 22, 2017
27-year old Pooja Vijay has a pronounced stutter, a quality that is regarded as a disability. But she has made this an asset or an advantage by using it to make her mark in standup comedy shows.
Pooja, who currently lives in Delhi, is from Tamil Nadu and lived most of her life in Bengaluru before moving to Delhi. She has performed in major cities around India and has collaborated with established comedians.
She says many people have congratulated her for performances. A large part of her stand up comedy is laughing at herself and her manner of speech. She says laughter is a good way to address the attitudes towards disorders like hers.
Pooja has also been featured by the Stuttering Foundation, a US-based non-profit organisation, that provides free online resources, services and support to stutterers and their families.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 How to help a person with autism feel calm
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 What Good Are We? - Guest column by Arun Dua
- Events April 15, 2019 NALS Adventure Camp
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News