Sound technology enables the blind to run without help
May 12, 2017
Sonic or sound-based technology has the potential to help blind or visually impaired people run on their own, without someone else guiding them.
18-year-old Oscar Widegren, who has been visually impaired since the age of 5, is part of a project called 'The Impossible Run'. The Impossible Run is a first-of its-kind experiment developed in partnership with Swedish sound design company Lexter to break the belief that blind runners can't run without help.
The experiment has been able to prove that sound technology can enable people to run, train, or exercise how and when they want to, without needing another person.
A laser-sharp sound tunnel was created for Oscar to run without help, guided only by sound. The technology could make sports more accessible for all people.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Calcutta High Court rules in favour of medical student with mental disorder who was denied admission
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 #AutismPower - Varun Sawant juggles multiple talents with great style
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Hygiene lessons for children with autism can be made fun, here's how
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News