Atulyakala- India's first design house run by the deaf
Atulyakala is an Indian lifestyle brand and a design house run completely by deaf artists.
Started by Smriti Nagpal, it not only just gives them daily wages but also contributes a significant portion of its profits to educate and empower them.
Nagpal says she got the idea when she met a deaf artist at an exhibition, who despite having a master's degree in Arts, was doing manual labour at an NGO. She decided to find employment opportunities for the deaf.
Atulyakala now sells wall art, coffee mugs, bags and journals. Nagpal has also worked as an interpreter with the deaf community for almost eight years.
Atulyakala is also present in Portugal and Denmark. Check their website for some really cool stuff!
Watch in Sign Language
- 5 things you must know about wheelchair users
November 18, 2018
- Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
November 17, 2018
- What made Stan Lee's superheroes so magical for children with autism
November 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 18, 2018 Delhi on high alert after threat of terror attack
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Rohit Sharma in list of batsmen with over 200 boundaries in T20Is
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Samsung to launch smartphone with four rear cameras in India this month
- Events November 12, 2018 Inclov Social Spaces Mumbai - New Year Celebration
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Supreme Court to hear review petitions for Sabarimala issue on 22 January
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee dies at 95
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Cyclonic storm lashes coasts of Tamil Nadu, south Andhra
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Actor Akshay Kumar says he never met self-styled god man Ram Rahim
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Small touches that make love stronger when you date a deaf person
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 13, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News