New tech enables blind & deaf to watch TV
October 6, 2017
Researchers in Spain have developed a new technology that types Braille or subtitles of TV channels in real time and helps deaf and blind people 'watch' television.
People who have tried it say they are now able to access information that they previously could not, as it happens and without any people helping in between.
They have also praised its ability to transmit to Braille lines and the ability to adjust the reading and viewing speed.
The technology is called Pervasive SUB and it gathers all the subtitles of TV channels and sends them to a central server which forwards them to smartphones or tablets. From there, they are sent to the Braille line of the deaf-blind person with the help of the GoAll app.
The app integrates the software, matches with different Braille lines and makes it possible to control the speed of the subtitles that are captured directly from the TV broadcast.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Jallianwalah Bagh massacre, people pay tribute
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Headlines April 15, 2019 IPL 2019 RCB wins 1st match
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News