New tech enables blind & deaf to watch TV
October 6, 2017
Researchers in Spain have developed a new technology that types Braille or subtitles of TV channels in real time and helps deaf and blind people 'watch' television.
People who have tried it say they are now able to access information that they previously could not, as it happens and without any people helping in between.
They have also praised its ability to transmit to Braille lines and the ability to adjust the reading and viewing speed.
The technology is called Pervasive SUB and it gathers all the subtitles of TV channels and sends them to a central server which forwards them to smartphones or tablets. From there, they are sent to the Braille line of the deaf-blind person with the help of the GoAll app.
The app integrates the software, matches with different Braille lines and makes it possible to control the speed of the subtitles that are captured directly from the TV broadcast.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Sensor-based device Saarthi is enabling blind people to move about independently
June 27, 2019
- New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
June 24, 2019
- #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
June 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 23, 2019 Certificate Course on Down Syndrome
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Finance Minister to present budget on 5 July
- Employment June 27, 2019 Diya Innovations opens doors of opportunities for adults with disabilities
- Education June 27, 2019 #ChangeMakers - Sonia Jaitley believes in helping children with disabilities unlock their strengths
- Education June 21, 2019 American College in Madurai introduces disability studies in syllabus
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Rahul Gandhi criticised for mocking Dog Squad yoga picture
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 New study highlights importance of educating & training for children with autism
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Jharkhand mob lynching victim dies, five arrested
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
- Headlines June 22, 2019 India deploys warships in view of US-Iran conflict
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News