How to help your autistic child communicate better
Studies show that autism has its origins in early brain development. Each case of autism is different and requires specific treatment and therapy that is suited to the needs of the individual child.
Here are some autism tips and guidelines for parents by experts:
Keep sentences as short as possible when speaking to children who are non-verbal or have a limited vocabulary. Simple instructions like - 'Drink your juice', 'Sit down', 'Get the book', are easy for them to understand.
Look for non-verbal cues. An autistic child may use sounds, body language, facial expressions and gestures to communicate his or her needs. Learn these signs to help you communicate more effectively with your child.
Some autistic children are highly sensitive to noise, light, touch or smell. Understand your child’s sensitivities so you can avoid them. This will make it easier for your child to function and communicate.
A structured daily routine will help your child feel more secure. Meals, naps, school, therapy and bed time should happen according to a schedule. When there are holidays and the schedule will be affected, help your child by preparing him or her in advance.
Identify your child’s strengths and interests and focus on them. Some autistic children are very skilled and talented. By focusing on your child’s strengths, you build confidence and self-esteem.
Create a safe zone at home. This should be a space where your child feels safe and secure and can relax.
Autistic children are visual learners, so visual aids can be used to work on skill areas that require support. These can include tactile objects, drawings, photographs, symbols or videos.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Events February 17, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe- Session 3
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 7, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News