Pune company to develop affordable prosthetic hand
May 24, 2017
There is fresh hope for amputees. A group of engineers in Pune are working towards developing a low-cost prosthetic hand that can be fitted without performing any surgery.
The engineers are part of Dee Dee Labs, a Pune-based startup, that is working on a myoelectric arm. Their idea is to use the electric signals that are naturally generated by our muscles and process it to perform the desired action by the hand.
The prosthetic is mainly being developed to perform hand actions, like contraction and relaxation, pinching and pointing at objects but the team is also working on adding more gestures.
Prosthetic arms are usually available for about Rs 35-40 lakh. This new arm aims to be more cost-effective, at less than two lakh rupees.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Calcutta High Court rules in favour of medical student with mental disorder who was denied admission
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines April 19, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News