Pune company to develop affordable prosthetic hand
There is fresh hope for amputees. A group of engineers in Pune are working towards developing a low-cost prosthetic hand that can be fitted without performing any surgery.
The engineers are part of Dee Dee Labs, a Pune-based startup, that is working on a myoelectric arm. Their idea is to use the electric signals that are naturally generated by our muscles and process it to perform the desired action by the hand.
The prosthetic is mainly being developed to perform hand actions, like contraction and relaxation, pinching and pointing at objects but the team is also working on adding more gestures.
Prosthetic arms are usually available for about Rs 35-40 lakh. This new arm aims to be more cost-effective, at less than two lakh rupees.
Watch in Sign Language
- Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
February 17, 2019
- Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
February 14, 2019
- Move to promote inclusion or mere gimmick? Disability-themed emojis for 2019 get mixed reviews
February 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Understanding Rare Diseases
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Patients find centre stage in competencies aimed to develop disability-inclusive compassionate care
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019