Friday namaz in sign language - a first in India
A new mosque has been designed in Mallappuram in Kerala to meet the needs of devotees with special needs.
The mosque will enable those who are hearing impaired to appreciate the Friday prayers. There are also facilities so that the speeches during the Friday namaz will also be translated in sign language.
This is the first mosque in India to do so. Sermons at every prayer meet in the mosque will also use the services of a sign language specialist and be displayed on LCD screens installed on the walls of the mosque.
The mosque is also fitted with ramps, armrests in toilets and wheelchairs meant for the differently abled.
The idea of a special mosque came after it was known that many hearing-impaired students were skipping prayer meets and Friday namaz as they were struggling to follow the sermons.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
- Events February 12, 2019 Workshop on Advancing Your Interpreting Skills
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News