Every differently-abled person has potential - My Take by Satendra Singh
I was born in a small village in Bhind in Madhya Pradesh in 1987. A few weeks after birth, I got diarrhea and did not get proper medical attention because of which the nerves in my legs contracted and I was left with a 60% disability in both legs.
It was a major setback for my parents who had to struggle for two daily meals but somehow they made sure I had all the support and encouragement I needed.
I picked up a strong interest in swimming and started going regularly to the village pond for a swim. Others would make fun of me but I never let their words affect my morale. I used to swim everyday after school and one day I saved a young boy who was drowning. From then on, villagers started looking at me with respect and strongly encouraged me.
The turning point came when I met with Professor V K Dabas while doing my graduation and he pushed me towards Paralympic swimming. Under his tough guidance, I trained hard and participated in the first national-level Paralympic swimming event in 2009 where I won a bronze medal. From then on, my journey in swimming took off and today I am an international-level Paralympic swimmer. I recently took part in the Canada-America Paralympic Championship.
The best part is that I continued to study along with this as well and I am now posted at the Zilla Panchayat Office in Gwalior. I have made myself both financially secure and won fame for my country in the field of sports.
I feel that my story is an example of how every differently-abled person has a potential and can bring pride to the country. That is the essence of my existence.About the Writer
Satendra Singh is a 31-year-old Paralympic swimmer. He is all set to become the first para-swimmer from Madhya Pradesh to swim the English Channel this year. He will leave India on 2 June. He has won 19 medals in domestic events and several other international awards in swimming.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 13, 2018 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Events December 13, 2018 DRIVE FOR AUTISM - A TSD CAR RALLY
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some useful Information about Angelman Syndrome
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Isha Ambani & Anand Piramal ties the knot at Ambani’s residence in Mumbai
- Headlines December 12, 2018 United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Virat gets booed by fans in Australia, 'not done' says former Aussie player
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Zomato delivery boy sacked after video goes viral
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 What makes them Disability Heroes - World Disability Day Special
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 10, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News