Every differently-abled person has potential - My Take by Satendra Singh
June 4, 2017
I was born in a small village in Bhind in Madhya Pradesh in 1987. A few weeks after birth, I got diarrhea and did not get proper medical attention because of which the nerves in my legs contracted and I was left with a 60% disability in both legs.
It was a major setback for my parents who had to struggle for two daily meals but somehow they made sure I had all the support and encouragement I needed.
I picked up a strong interest in swimming and started going regularly to the village pond for a swim. Others would make fun of me but I never let their words affect my morale. I used to swim everyday after school and one day I saved a young boy who was drowning. From then on, villagers started looking at me with respect and strongly encouraged me.
The turning point came when I met with Professor V K Dabas while doing my graduation and he pushed me towards Paralympic swimming. Under his tough guidance, I trained hard and participated in the first national-level Paralympic swimming event in 2009 where I won a bronze medal. From then on, my journey in swimming took off and today I am an international-level Paralympic swimmer. I recently took part in the Canada-America Paralympic Championship.
The best part is that I continued to study along with this as well and I am now posted at the Zilla Panchayat Office in Gwalior. I have made myself both financially secure and won fame for my country in the field of sports.
I feel that my story is an example of how every differently-abled person has a potential and can bring pride to the country. That is the essence of my existence.About the Writer
Satendra Singh is a 31-year-old Paralympic swimmer. He is all set to become the first para-swimmer from Madhya Pradesh to swim the English Channel this year. He will leave India on 2 June. He has won 19 medals in domestic events and several other international awards in swimming.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Accessibility April 12, 2019 Worthy of international medals, but "mentally unsound" to vote – Why this election will elude Asha Kiran home residents
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Headlines April 15, 2019 IPL 2019 RCB wins 1st match
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News