Kochi Metro sets an example with special rides for disabled kids, elderly
May 25, 2017
From special rides to passengers to disabilities to accessible features, Kochi Metro went one step forward for the disabled. Even the inaugural ride with Prime Minister Narendra Modi has two children with disabilities, Midhun and Arun on board the Sneha Yatra -journey of love.
PM Modi shares his inaugural ride with kids with disabilities
Nearly 450 children with physical and cognitive disabilities from 43 special schools, as well as children from orphanages and elderly persons from old age homes along the route were among the first public passengers on the newly opened Metro. Kochi Metro authorities ran many trains from Palarivattom to Aluva to give the special passengers the first experience of the Metro.
Riding along with them on some of the trips were Health Minister KK Shailaja and actor and State Award winner Rejisha Vijayan.
Children who had never heard of a Metro got to experience it first-hand. They were also the first residents of Kochi to experience the Metro, which made it even more exciting. They were able to use the Metro easily as well.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Acid attack survivors hope SRK's support will lend greater focus to their campaign
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Headlines June 14, 2019 PM Modi tells ministers to get to work on time
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Seeking a friend or life partner? Register at this meet up
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News