Kochi Metro sets an example with special rides for disabled kids, elderly
From special rides to passengers to disabilities to accessible features, Kochi Metro went one step forward for the disabled. Even the inaugural ride with Prime Minister Narendra Modi has two children with disabilities, Midhun and Arun on board the Sneha Yatra -journey of love.
PM Modi shares his inaugural ride with kids with disabilities
Nearly 450 children with physical and cognitive disabilities from 43 special schools, as well as children from orphanages and elderly persons from old age homes along the route were among the first public passengers on the newly opened Metro. Kochi Metro authorities ran many trains from Palarivattom to Aluva to give the special passengers the first experience of the Metro.
Riding along with them on some of the trips were Health Minister KK Shailaja and actor and State Award winner Rejisha Vijayan.
Children who had never heard of a Metro got to experience it first-hand. They were also the first residents of Kochi to experience the Metro, which made it even more exciting. They were able to use the Metro easily as well.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Headlines February 11, 2019 Robert Vadra takes to Facebook to share his story
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 11, 2019
Get-hooked February 17, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News