This wearable translates sign language into voice
Showing is a new wearable sign language translator that can translate sign language gestures into voice, and voice into text.
The device will make it easier for deaf people to communicate with hearing people, and vice versa. The wearable armband detects the muscle actions of the wearer, and converts it into speech through a small speaker.
Showing can also detect speech from others and covert it into text that appears on the armband.
The device has been invented by two university students from China. One of them, Wang Nana, said she had a friend with a hearing impairment, and wanted to do something to help communication.
The device won the first prize in an open design challenge by the United Nations and the Chinese tech company Baidu. It can translate 200 Chinese Sign Language gestures, but more are added each day.
Watch in Sign Language
- Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
February 17, 2019
- Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
February 14, 2019
- Move to promote inclusion or mere gimmick? Disability-themed emojis for 2019 get mixed reviews
February 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajinikanth’s daughter Soundarya gets married
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Accessibility February 11, 2019 Citizen activism pays off, gurdwara in East Delhi takes steps to make worship accessible for all
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News