This wearable translates sign language into voice
May 30, 2017
Showing is a new wearable sign language translator that can translate sign language gestures into voice, and voice into text.
The device will make it easier for deaf people to communicate with hearing people, and vice versa. The wearable armband detects the muscle actions of the wearer, and converts it into speech through a small speaker.
Showing can also detect speech from others and covert it into text that appears on the armband.
The device has been invented by two university students from China. One of them, Wang Nana, said she had a friend with a hearing impairment, and wanted to do something to help communication.
The device won the first prize in an open design challenge by the United Nations and the Chinese tech company Baidu. It can translate 200 Chinese Sign Language gestures, but more are added each day.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Headlines April 13, 2019 SC to hear Modi biopic case on 15 April
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News