Deaf model Nyle DiMarco criticizes Hollywood actor for mocking sign language
Deaf model and disability rights activist Nyle DiMarco has strongly criticized Hollywood star Jamie Foxx for pretending to use sign language on a recent TV show.
He told Foxx that it was disrespectful to make up sign language and said that the TV host should not have allowed this to happen.
DiMarco, who has a foundation that works to help the hearing-impaired, particularly with access to sign-language education, also said that one should not make fun at the expense of others, especially those who have a history of being left out.
In December 2015, DiMarco became the first deaf contestant to win 'America’s Next Top Model.' In May 2016, he became the first deaf contestant to win 'Dancing With the Stars' even though he could not hear the music.
Watch in Sign Language
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
- 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
December 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
- Headlines December 11, 2018 Farmer sells 2,000-kg onion for 6/-, sends money to top politician
- Events December 13, 2018 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Employment December 12, 2018 Visual impairment is no barrier to a successful career. Here are some tips
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Abuse at therapy centres in Kerala under scanner again, government promises redressal
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Supreme Court orders that there should be no further investigation on Rafale deal
- Technology December 10, 2018 Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Society attitudes are a big threat for development of children with disabilities
- Get-hooked December 16, 2018 Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 10, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018