Deaf model Nyle DiMarco criticizes Hollywood actor for mocking sign language
May 31, 2017
Deaf model and disability rights activist Nyle DiMarco has strongly criticized Hollywood star Jamie Foxx for pretending to use sign language on a recent TV show.
He told Foxx that it was disrespectful to make up sign language and said that the TV host should not have allowed this to happen.
DiMarco, who has a foundation that works to help the hearing-impaired, particularly with access to sign-language education, also said that one should not make fun at the expense of others, especially those who have a history of being left out.
In December 2015, DiMarco became the first deaf contestant to win 'America's Next Top Model.' In May 2016, he became the first deaf contestant to win 'Dancing With the Stars' even though he could not hear the music.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Court order paves way for woman without fingerprints to get Aadhaar card
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on managing your own career for people with visual impairments
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News