Deaf model Nyle DiMarco criticizes Hollywood actor for mocking sign language
May 31, 2017
Deaf model and disability rights activist Nyle DiMarco has strongly criticized Hollywood star Jamie Foxx for pretending to use sign language on a recent TV show.
He told Foxx that it was disrespectful to make up sign language and said that the TV host should not have allowed this to happen.
DiMarco, who has a foundation that works to help the hearing-impaired, particularly with access to sign-language education, also said that one should not make fun at the expense of others, especially those who have a history of being left out.
In December 2015, DiMarco became the first deaf contestant to win 'America's Next Top Model.' In May 2016, he became the first deaf contestant to win 'Dancing With the Stars' even though he could not hear the music.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 11, 2019 Nurturing The Green Week’ 2019 - World Environment day
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Accessibility June 11, 2019 A warrior in the cause of digital accessibility - My Take by Sai Bhagat
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Employment June 12, 2019 Breast cancer detection training for blind women to be expanded to more Indian cities
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Acid attack survivors hope SRK's support will lend greater focus to their campaign
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News