Deaf model Nyle DiMarco criticizes Hollywood actor for mocking sign language
Deaf model and disability rights activist Nyle DiMarco has strongly criticized Hollywood star Jamie Foxx for pretending to use sign language on a recent TV show.
He told Foxx that it was disrespectful to make up sign language and said that the TV host should not have allowed this to happen.
DiMarco, who has a foundation that works to help the hearing-impaired, particularly with access to sign-language education, also said that one should not make fun at the expense of others, especially those who have a history of being left out.
In December 2015, DiMarco became the first deaf contestant to win 'America’s Next Top Model.' In May 2016, he became the first deaf contestant to win 'Dancing With the Stars' even though he could not hear the music.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajinikanth’s daughter Soundarya gets married
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News