Deaf mom in UK teaches sign language to babies
28-year-old Victoria Wright from Mountsorrel, United Kingdom, is teaching a special class where babies are taught to use sign language before they can even speak.
Wright set up Babbles in 2016, after years of speech therapy helped her recover from being born deaf as a child. Babbles is a not for profit company that delivers a variety of sensory based workshops to learners less than five years of age.
The baby sign language course is called Baby Lingo, and it teaches parents the knowledge and skills to be able to teach their children British Sign Language so they can communicate from an early age.
The course is for eight weeks and in this parents learn how to sign basic BSL so that they can then teach their little ones how to use it.
Parents are taught basic words that children most commonly use, like milk, more, please and thank you. From this, they go on to learn more phrases. Babies start the course when they are as young as four months old.
Watch in Sign Language
- This Bengaluru school is empowering women with disabilities for the job market
December 18, 2018
- How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
December 18, 2018
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 17, 2018 P V Sindhu makes history, becomes 1st Indian to win BWF World Tour title
- Accessibility December 18, 2018 Chennai's largest inclusive children's playground has something unique for everyone
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Deaf candidate Sudeep Shukla impresses in polls, shows the way to disabled political aspirants
- Parasports December 17, 2018 Nothing stops this blind cricketer from batting for inclusion into IPL
- Parasports December 16, 2018 India roots for Arunima Sinha as she sets to scale Antarctica's highest peak
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Society attitudes are a big threat for development of children with disabilities
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Supreme Court orders that there should be no further investigation on Rafale deal
- Headlines December 15, 2018 India vs Australia - Decision to drop Jadeja criticised
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh may be announced today
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 10, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018