System that translates sign language into voice
June 9, 2017
Deaf people who use signing as their primary means of communication often face challenges while talking to people who are not familiar with sign language. A startup based in Dallas, United States, has developed KinTrans, a smart technology that can translate sign language into voice and text, and voice taken to text or sign language automatically.
This allows signers and non-signers to communicate together in their own languages, effectively and immediately. It also opens up the potential for conversations between signers and speakers in the marketplace, workplace, schools and hospitals.
KinTrans' tech relies on a 3D camera which tracks the movement of a signer's hands and body when they sign out words. When requested, it can then translate the signed words into written English and Arabic. More languages will also be introduced soon.
Voice can also be translated into signed words communicated by an animated avatar on the screen. The system can recognize thousands of signed words with an accuracy of around 98%.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
June 13, 2019
- Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
June 12, 2019
- #TechThursdays – What makes the DALI app a game changer for students with dyslexia
June 6, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Virat apologises for booing Indian fans
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Headlines June 14, 2019 PM Modi tells ministers to get to work on time
- Events June 11, 2019 Nurturing The Green Week’ 2019 - World Environment day
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Ride
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Get-hooked June 13, 2019 Feeling body positive when you have a disability
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News