System that translates sign language into voice
June 9, 2017
Deaf people who use signing as their primary means of communication often face challenges while talking to people who are not familiar with sign language. A startup based in Dallas, United States, has developed KinTrans, a smart technology that can translate sign language into voice and text, and voice taken to text or sign language automatically.
This allows signers and non-signers to communicate together in their own languages, effectively and immediately. It also opens up the potential for conversations between signers and speakers in the marketplace, workplace, schools and hospitals.
KinTrans' tech relies on a 3D camera which tracks the movement of a signer's hands and body when they sign out words. When requested, it can then translate the signed words into written English and Arabic. More languages will also be introduced soon.
Voice can also be translated into signed words communicated by an animated avatar on the screen. The system can recognize thousands of signed words with an accuracy of around 98%.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 'Mental hai kya': Sensational & STIGMA MULTIPLIES? - My take by Dr Harish Shetty
- Accessibility April 24, 2019 Blood disorders no grounds to exclude disabled aspirants from studying medicine, argues petition
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News