Deaf critic movie review of The Mummy
June 21, 2017
A hearing perspective:
The Mummy is an American fantasy, action, adventure film directed by Alex Kurtzman. It features Tom Cruise as Nick, Annabelle Wallis as Jenny, Sofia Boutella as Princess Ahmanet and Jake Johnson as Chris in important roles.
The film starts with the 5000-year-old story of Princess Ahmanet who is determined to become the queen of a place in ancient Egypt. However, she loses the power when her father's second wife gives birth to a son.
Ahmanet surrenders her soul to the god Set and murders her family. She then tries to sacrifice her lover to attain supreme powers but her father's priests sentence her to be buried alive for eternity inside a stone.
The film then shows the present-day Iraq where Nick, his friend Chris and former lover Jenny discover the tomb of Ahmanet. They investigate the tomb and decide to take it to England.
In a turn of events, Chris dies and becomes a ghost to inform Nick that he is cursed by Ahmanet, who seeks to use him as a replacement vessel for Set.
The way Nick and Jenny battle it out with Ahmanet to save humanity forms the remaining part of the story.
The film is a waste of time due to poor plot, bad editing, more of horror effects and no great visual effects. Go for the film only if you are a Tom Cruise fan or have seen films in the Mummy series.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 24, 2019 India dismissed report on rising religious tensions
- Technology June 24, 2019 New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
- Headlines June 19, 2019 6 jawans injured in terror strike in Pulwama
- Employment June 20, 2019 Karnataka's popular Mitti Cafe chain, manned entirely by disabled staff, set to expand to other cities
- Education June 24, 2019 Inclusive Education - Challenges and Barriers - Guest column by Rukmini Krishnaswamy
- Events June 20, 2019 Mental Health Session
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Aussie player Steve Smith praises Virat
- Headlines June 22, 2019 India deploys warships in view of US-Iran conflict
- Headlines June 23, 2019 ‘Kabir Singh’ becomes fourth-highest opener of 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News