Empowering deaf children through literacy - My Take by Asha Thatte
I lived abroad for a short while, and there was an art gallery near my house where disabled children were brought for showings. This started the thought in my mind to do something meaningful for children with disabilities.
When I came back to India, I decided to get a qualification in training programs for children with special needs and soon after that joined the Vikas Vidyalaya for Deaf Children in Dadar.
Unlike some other physical disabilities, deafness is not immediately visible or understood and tends to be overlooked. That is why I was especially keen to work with hearing impaired kids.
From the moment I entered the gates of the school, my life changed. I worked for 10 years as a full time principal. In those days, awareness was very low and we struggled to raise funds. There was no CSR and it was hard work to convince people. Eventually things got easier. We got government recognition and donations started coming in. We also have the support of donors like Tech Mahindra.
The ratio of teacher to students at our school is one to eight. We teach sign language, but our primary focus is on oral and aural hearing. Our children come from poor backgrounds so we provide them with hearing aids that we source through donors. We tell the parents to raise whatever they can. We don't charge any school fees.
We started 51 years ago with just one student. Today we have 110 children studying at our school and it makes us proud when we see them come out with flying colours in their exams every year.
About the Writer
Asha Thatte is the managing trustee of Vikas Vidayalaya for Deaf Children, one of Mumbai's oldest schools for hearing impaired kids.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 13, 2018 India vs Australia - Prithvi Shaw will miss second Test
- Accessibility December 11, 2018 The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
- Events December 8, 2018 Poetry and Talent Nite at Mitr
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
- Headlines December 8, 2018 Singer Mika Singh detained& released in Dubai over sexual harassment allegations
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Shaktikanta Das to succeed Urjit Patel as RBI governor
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Abuse at therapy centres in Kerala under scanner again, government promises redressal
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News