Colleges must be proactive with disabled students - Disability on Campus - Ajay Minocha
I did my graduation from Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru College. I am vision impaired by almost 100%. My sight started diminishing during college and I had to switch to e-text.
There was no facility to get books converted into accessible format like many universities have now.
This meant that I had to scan all the study materials on my own and convert them into e text, which was a big challenge. The other challenge was getting a writer during exams. The whole process was quite orthodox and bureaucratic. One had to go the university that the college was affiliated to for permission. The university was three hours away and to travel there each and every time for a letter was quite hard. I feel the college principal should have been given the authority to issue these letters.
It would have helped if the computer labs had suitable software like screen reading software. The colleges can be more proactive so students get to focus on their studies rather than handle logistics. The basic study material should be provided. I know providing accessible content in math is hard but at least theoretical material can be made accessible.
I want to make a special mention of the professors and staff who made up for the shortcomings by being very supportive. They did everything they could do to help me. They took time to explain concepts and gave extra copies.About the Writer
25-year-old Ajay Minocha went on to do his MBA from IIM-Indore. He is currently based in Mumbai and works in the investment banking division of the Royal Bank of Scotland.
Watch in Sign Language
- Wheelchair artists in Kerala to stage Chaya, 1st of its kind theatre performance
January 22, 2019
- Workshop on children with ADHD, know more
January 22, 2019
- Some things to not tell a disabled person when you meet online
January 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events January 17, 2019 India Art Festival- IAF
- Get-hooked January 20, 2019 Understanding Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Headlines January 16, 2019 India beats Australia by 6 wickets in second ODI
- Headlines January 15, 2019 Gujarat becomes first state to implement 10% reservation for general category
- Get-hooked January 22, 2019 Wheelchair artists in Kerala to stage Chaya, 1st of its kind theatre performance
- Parasports January 22, 2019 Champions with disabilities display guts & glory at the 2019 Tata Mumbai Marathon
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Navy divers find second body in Meghalaya mine
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Dhoni becomes 4th Indian to record 1,000 one day runs in Australia
- Get-hooked January 15, 2019 Inclusion & music come together at this event in Delhi's Hans Raj College
- Get-hooked January 16, 2019 Disabled people in Goa accuse authorities of demanding full body pictures for disability certificates
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 14, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News