Colleges must be proactive with disabled students - Disability on Campus - Ajay Minocha
November 17, 2017
I did my graduation from Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru College. I am vision impaired by almost 100%. My sight started diminishing during college and I had to switch to e-text.
There was no facility to get books converted into accessible format like many universities have now.
This meant that I had to scan all the study materials on my own and convert them into e text, which was a big challenge. The other challenge was getting a writer during exams. The whole process was quite orthodox and bureaucratic. One had to go the university that the college was affiliated to for permission. The university was three hours away and to travel there each and every time for a letter was quite hard. I feel the college principal should have been given the authority to issue these letters.
It would have helped if the computer labs had suitable software like screen reading software. The colleges can be more proactive so students get to focus on their studies rather than handle logistics. The basic study material should be provided. I know providing accessible content in math is hard but at least theoretical material can be made accessible.
I want to make a special mention of the professors and staff who made up for the shortcomings by being very supportive. They did everything they could do to help me. They took time to explain concepts and gave extra copies.About the Writer
25-year-old Ajay Minocha went on to do his MBA from IIM-Indore. He is currently based in Mumbai and works in the investment banking division of the Royal Bank of Scotland.
Watch in Sign Language
- Differences in viewpoints must be respected. - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
August 26, 2019
- Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
August 26, 2019
- Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
August 25, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Kamal Nath’s nephew arrested for fraud
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Ex-minister P Chidambaram arrested
- Get-Hooked August 25, 2019 Understanding Teaching Nonverbal Children
- Employment August 26, 2019 Sample these wholesome & delicious cookies baked by people with Down syndrome at Satya Bakery
- Technology August 25, 2019 18-year-old with autism wins fans across the world with his app Aumi
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 "Love can be limitless if people recognise, accept and celebrate a person with a difference" - Jasmina Khanna
- Technology August 22, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Prashant Gade wins Universal Design Award 2019 for Inali Arm
- Headlines August 26, 2019 High alert along Line of Control over terror threat
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
- Technology August 24, 2019 #InclusionChamps: Nekram Upadhyay’s May Ability Kit wins him national disability award for 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News