Colleges must be proactive with disabled students - Disability on Campus - Ajay Minocha
November 17, 2017
I did my graduation from Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru College. I am vision impaired by almost 100%. My sight started diminishing during college and I had to switch to e-text.
There was no facility to get books converted into accessible format like many universities have now.
This meant that I had to scan all the study materials on my own and convert them into e text, which was a big challenge. The other challenge was getting a writer during exams. The whole process was quite orthodox and bureaucratic. One had to go the university that the college was affiliated to for permission. The university was three hours away and to travel there each and every time for a letter was quite hard. I feel the college principal should have been given the authority to issue these letters.
It would have helped if the computer labs had suitable software like screen reading software. The colleges can be more proactive so students get to focus on their studies rather than handle logistics. The basic study material should be provided. I know providing accessible content in math is hard but at least theoretical material can be made accessible.
I want to make a special mention of the professors and staff who made up for the shortcomings by being very supportive. They did everything they could do to help me. They took time to explain concepts and gave extra copies.About the Writer
25-year-old Ajay Minocha went on to do his MBA from IIM-Indore. He is currently based in Mumbai and works in the investment banking division of the Royal Bank of Scotland.
Watch in Sign Language
- "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
March 20, 2019
- Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
March 20, 2019
- Child prodigy Joshua Beckford proves disability need not be a roadblock to your dreams
March 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Awareness about accessible election facilities still an issue in Arunachal Pradesh
- Headlines March 16, 2019 9 people of Indian origin missing in New Zealand mosque attack
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Parikkar given state funeral with military honours
- Employment March 18, 2019 Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
- Get-hooked March 14, 2019 Madras High Court directs implementation of 3% job quota for disabled people, activists unhappy
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Gun laws to change in New Zealand after terror attack
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 Discriminatory medical admission guidelines regarding disabled aspirants crush this Ranchi doctor's dream
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Nearly a month after Sambuddha Ghosh's death, family struggles for answers
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News