Support the campaign - #RollbackGST4PwDs!
June 28, 2017
There is a growing outcry against the Centre's move to levy a 5% tax on all items for people with disabilities. The GST Council has proposed a levy of 5% GST on all items for PwD, and items like Braille typewriters and carriages for the physically disabled face a tax between 15-18%.
These are assistive aids and appliances which are of absolute necessity for persons with disabilities. Activists say this move goes against the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016 that provides for equal rights, opportunities and non-discrimination.
Various disability groups have sent representations to Finance Minister Arun Jaitley as well as finance ministers in states. The next meeting of the GST Council is scheduled for 30 June, and it is time to raise awareness about the need to take away this proposal. Send letters, faxes, emails or just a Tweet and a Facebook post tagging the Prime Minister's Office, Finance Minister, Additional Secretary, GST Council and the Department for People with Disabilities.
Join the campaign by the National Centre for Promotion of Employment of Disabled People - 'Rollback GST for Persons with Disabilities' (#RollbackGST4PwDs).
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Share funding details, court tells political parties
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 How to help a person with autism feel calm
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Jallianwalah Bagh massacre, people pay tribute
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News