Support the campaign - #RollbackGST4PwDs!
June 28, 2017
There is a growing outcry against the Centre's move to levy a 5% tax on all items for people with disabilities. The GST Council has proposed a levy of 5% GST on all items for PwD, and items like Braille typewriters and carriages for the physically disabled face a tax between 15-18%.
These are assistive aids and appliances which are of absolute necessity for persons with disabilities. Activists say this move goes against the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016 that provides for equal rights, opportunities and non-discrimination.
Various disability groups have sent representations to Finance Minister Arun Jaitley as well as finance ministers in states. The next meeting of the GST Council is scheduled for 30 June, and it is time to raise awareness about the need to take away this proposal. Send letters, faxes, emails or just a Tweet and a Facebook post tagging the Prime Minister's Office, Finance Minister, Additional Secretary, GST Council and the Department for People with Disabilities.
Join the campaign by the National Centre for Promotion of Employment of Disabled People - 'Rollback GST for Persons with Disabilities' (#RollbackGST4PwDs).
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Events June 11, 2019 25th World Cardiology Conference
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Kerala cops, Interpol join hands to fight child abuse
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News