Make sign language universal in colleges - Disability on Campus by Sachin Singh
November 10, 2017
I am an Instructor in Sign Linguistics at the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre. This comes under the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities in the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
The aim of ISLRTC is to provide India's five million deaf population with increased accessibility in education, workplace and other activities in public life.
I completed my B.A. in Applied Sign Language from the University of Central Lancashire in IGNOU in New Delhi. I am deaf, and deaf people need accessible communication, especially in sign language. This can also be oral that can be provided by a Bhartiya Sanketik Bhasha Interpreter, with proper visual cues and accommodation in lip reading.
In college, I got all the facilities I needed in college, and did not face much difficulty. It was much better than what I faced in school. In school, I faced lot of problems coping, as there were no facilities provided for the disabled.
The message that I would like to give colleges can be summed up in three words - Indian Sign Language.
About the Writer
Sachin Singh is based in Delhi and is a Sign Language Instructor at the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre. He is a former teacher in the Bridge Program at Dr Shakuntala Misra National Rehabilitation University, Lucknow.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 13, 2019 Read for Mental Health
- Employment June 17, 2019 #AutismPower - SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Accept, Respect, Empower each other - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Gujarat on high alert for cyclone
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Accessibility June 11, 2019 A warrior in the cause of digital accessibility - My Take by Sai Bhagat
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Australia
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News