Make sign language universal in colleges - Disability on Campus by Sachin Singh
November 10, 2017
I am an Instructor in Sign Linguistics at the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre. This comes under the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities in the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
The aim of ISLRTC is to provide India's five million deaf population with increased accessibility in education, workplace and other activities in public life.
I completed my B.A. in Applied Sign Language from the University of Central Lancashire in IGNOU in New Delhi. I am deaf, and deaf people need accessible communication, especially in sign language. This can also be oral that can be provided by a Bhartiya Sanketik Bhasha Interpreter, with proper visual cues and accommodation in lip reading.
In college, I got all the facilities I needed in college, and did not face much difficulty. It was much better than what I faced in school. In school, I faced lot of problems coping, as there were no facilities provided for the disabled.
The message that I would like to give colleges can be summed up in three words - Indian Sign Language.
About the Writer
Sachin Singh is based in Delhi and is a Sign Language Instructor at the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre. He is a former teacher in the Bridge Program at Dr Shakuntala Misra National Rehabilitation University, Lucknow.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Headlines April 15, 2019 IPL 2019 RCB wins 1st match
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News