Make sign language universal in colleges - Disability on Campus by Sachin Singh
I am an Instructor in Sign Linguistics at the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre. This comes under the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities in the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
The aim of ISLRTC is to provide India's five million deaf population with increased accessibility in education, workplace and other activities in public life.
I completed my B.A. in Applied Sign Language from the University of Central Lancashire in IGNOU in New Delhi. I am deaf, and deaf people need accessible communication, especially in sign language. This can also be oral that can be provided by a Bhartiya Sanketik Bhasha Interpreter, with proper visual cues and accommodation in lip reading.
In college, I got all the facilities I needed in college, and did not face much difficulty. It was much better than what I faced in school. In school, I faced lot of problems coping, as there were no facilities provided for the disabled.
The message that I would like to give colleges can be summed up in three words - Indian Sign Language.
About the Writer
Sachin Singh is based in Delhi and is a Sign Language Instructor at the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre. He is a former teacher in the Bridge Program at Dr Shakuntala Misra National Rehabilitation University, Lucknow.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Patients find centre stage in competencies aimed to develop disability-inclusive compassionate care
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Get-hooked February 7, 2019