Make sign language universal in colleges - Disability on Campus by Sachin Singh
I am an Instructor in Sign Linguistics at the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre. This comes under the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities in the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
The aim of ISLRTC is to provide India's five million deaf population with increased accessibility in education, workplace and other activities in public life.
I completed my B.A. in Applied Sign Language from the University of Central Lancashire in IGNOU in New Delhi. I am deaf, and deaf people need accessible communication, especially in sign language. This can also be oral that can be provided by a Bhartiya Sanketik Bhasha Interpreter, with proper visual cues and accommodation in lip reading.
In college, I got all the facilities I needed in college, and did not face much difficulty. It was much better than what I faced in school. In school, I faced lot of problems coping, as there were no facilities provided for the disabled.
The message that I would like to give colleges can be summed up in three words - Indian Sign Language.
About the Writer
Sachin Singh is based in Delhi and is a Sign Language Instructor at the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre. He is a former teacher in the Bridge Program at Dr Shakuntala Misra National Rehabilitation University, Lucknow.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility December 11, 2018 The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
- Events December 13, 2018 DRIVE FOR AUTISM - A TSD CAR RALLY
- Events December 11, 2018 Annual Party Forum For Autism
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 New study highlights importance of building motor skills in kids with autism
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 Some tips for dating when you have a disability
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Get-hooked December 9, 2018 These disabled youngsters find their passion in something unique
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Diabetes-related eye diseases is the leading cause of blindness in India, says study
- Headlines December 13, 2018 India vs Australia - Prithvi Shaw will miss second Test
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 8, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News