Disabled students need care & support - Disability on Campus by Rajeev Saha
I graduated from St Xavier's in Kolkata in 2015 and my experience is that there was just not enough awareness about facilities for the disabled.
I have low vision and I was given extra time but there was always a reluctance to grant it. I always felt like I was asking for favours and it was a struggle.
The teachers there were not cooperative either so when I needed extra help after classes, they were not helpful. I struggled in school as well as I had no idea that my problem was so bad. I used to think I was stupid and never talk to anyone. It was only in class 12 that I got to know my vision was so poor. I somehow managed to finish school with tuitions.
I wish teachers, both at the school and college level were more supportive and acknowledge the needs of disabled students. They have to be treated with extra care and support. I also wish there were ramps or inclined planks for students with locomotor problems.
About the Writer
Rajeev Saha has recently given his chartered accountancy exams and is working in the forex department of State Bank of India, Kolkata.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Accessibility February 11, 2019 Kerala government starts initiatives for inclusive elections
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Events February 12, 2019 Workshop on Advancing Your Interpreting Skills
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajinikanth’s daughter Soundarya gets married
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Accessibility February 11, 2019 Citizen activism pays off, gurdwara in East Delhi takes steps to make worship accessible for all
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News