Disabled students need care & support - Disability on Campus by Rajeev Saha
November 11, 2017
I graduated from St Xavier's in Kolkata in 2015 and my experience is that there was just not enough awareness about facilities for the disabled.
I have low vision and I was given extra time but there was always a reluctance to grant it. I always felt like I was asking for favours and it was a struggle.
The teachers there were not cooperative either so when I needed extra help after classes, they were not helpful. I struggled in school as well as I had no idea that my problem was so bad. I used to think I was stupid and never talk to anyone. It was only in class 12 that I got to know my vision was so poor. I somehow managed to finish school with tuitions.
I wish teachers, both at the school and college level were more supportive and acknowledge the needs of disabled students. They have to be treated with extra care and support. I also wish there were ramps or inclined planks for students with locomotor problems.
About the Writer
Rajeev Saha has recently given his chartered accountancy exams and is working in the forex department of State Bank of India, Kolkata.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan out of World Cup due to injury
- Events June 11, 2019 From the ‘Whys’ to the ‘Hows’
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Wheelchair no barrier for a fit & healthy lifestyle, here's why
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Kerala cops, Interpol join hands to fight child abuse
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Events June 11, 2019 Golden Eye Chef 2019
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Abilympics 2019 is an opportunity for disabled people to show their mettle
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News