Disabled students need care & support - Disability on Campus by Rajeev Saha
November 11, 2017
I graduated from St Xavier's in Kolkata in 2015 and my experience is that there was just not enough awareness about facilities for the disabled.
I have low vision and I was given extra time but there was always a reluctance to grant it. I always felt like I was asking for favours and it was a struggle.
The teachers there were not cooperative either so when I needed extra help after classes, they were not helpful. I struggled in school as well as I had no idea that my problem was so bad. I used to think I was stupid and never talk to anyone. It was only in class 12 that I got to know my vision was so poor. I somehow managed to finish school with tuitions.
I wish teachers, both at the school and college level were more supportive and acknowledge the needs of disabled students. They have to be treated with extra care and support. I also wish there were ramps or inclined planks for students with locomotor problems.
About the Writer
Rajeev Saha has recently given his chartered accountancy exams and is working in the forex department of State Bank of India, Kolkata.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 #AutismPower - Arun Prasad inspires young people with autism to live life independently
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Parasports April 23, 2019 'Playing golf gives me satisfaction, makes me happy' - My Take by Ankush Saha, para golfer
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News