Disabled students need care & support - Disability on Campus by Rajeev Saha
I graduated from St Xavier's in Kolkata in 2015 and my experience is that there was just not enough awareness about facilities for the disabled.
I have low vision and I was given extra time but there was always a reluctance to grant it. I always felt like I was asking for favours and it was a struggle.
The teachers there were not cooperative either so when I needed extra help after classes, they were not helpful. I struggled in school as well as I had no idea that my problem was so bad. I used to think I was stupid and never talk to anyone. It was only in class 12 that I got to know my vision was so poor. I somehow managed to finish school with tuitions.
I wish teachers, both at the school and college level were more supportive and acknowledge the needs of disabled students. They have to be treated with extra care and support. I also wish there were ramps or inclined planks for students with locomotor problems.
About the Writer
Rajeev Saha has recently given his chartered accountancy exams and is working in the forex department of State Bank of India, Kolkata.
Watch in Sign Language
- This Bengaluru school is empowering women with disabilities for the job market
December 18, 2018
- How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
December 18, 2018
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Get-hooked December 16, 2018 Health Problems in children with Autism
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Zomato delivery boy sacked after video goes viral
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Come 16 December, Bengaluru will host a car rally for awareness on autism
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 This Mumbai sports academy for disabled kids brings a spring to the steps & a smile
- Events December 17, 2018 All India Seventh Across Disability Matrimonial Get Together
- Parasports December 18, 2018 Para athletes see opportunities in Citi-International Paralympic Committee partnership
- Events December 17, 2018 Dementia Caregivers' Support Group Meet
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018