Delhi University offers short term courses for the disabled
July 7, 2017
The Equal Opportunity Cell of Delhi University has three short-term certificate courses for the disabled and these are mainly open to Delhi University students.
These courses are offered at the Faculty of Arts, and are for a period of 3-6 months.
This year the university has received over 1,700 applications for undergraduate programmes from students who have either physical, intellectual or behavioral disabilities. As per the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act - 2016, the university will be providing 5% reservations in admissions and 4% reservation in employment for the disabled.
The EOC also helps disabled students with admission-related counseling and filling up of scholarships forms. The cell currently provides short-term courses in Sign Language Interpretation, Communicative English and Information and Computer Technology. Forms for these courses are available online and can also be filled offline at the EOC.
The university has started providing smartphones and smart canes to visually impaired students. Advance book-reading technologies have been installed to help blind students. Most students with disabilities have been given laptops, 'plextalk' recorders to tape lectures, which can then be converted to PDF format to give blind students Braille copy of the notes.
Watch in Sign Language
- Updated MBBS curriculum with disability competencies to come into effect from 1 August, confirms MCI
July 20, 2019
- Mumbai's Wilson College shows the path to inclusion with new faculty member Payal Bhattad
July 18, 2019
- Kerala High Court upholds guidelines for therapy centres in the state
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines July 15, 2019 Press Club of India supports media boycott of Kangana
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Saswati Singh's efforts to empower people with disabilities takes off as Nav Prerna Foundation
- Events July 16, 2019 Living Well with Epilepsy: An Interactive Session
- Headlines July 18, 2019 Hrithik Roshan’s Super 30 made tax-free in Bihar
- Headlines July 15, 2019 England wins 2019 World Cup trophy
- Education July 20, 2019 Updated MBBS curriculum with disability competencies to come into effect from 1 August, confirms MCI
- Lifestyle July 17, 2019 No lace sports shoes for kids – Affordable, convenient and takes away the pain!
- Parasports July 18, 2019 Dhoni is India’s pride & should stay - India's para cricketers root for the legend
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked July 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Adults with Autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News