Delhi University offers short term courses for the disabled
July 7, 2017
The Equal Opportunity Cell of Delhi University has three short-term certificate courses for the disabled and these are mainly open to Delhi University students.
These courses are offered at the Faculty of Arts, and are for a period of 3-6 months.
This year the university has received over 1,700 applications for undergraduate programmes from students who have either physical, intellectual or behavioral disabilities. As per the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act - 2016, the university will be providing 5% reservations in admissions and 4% reservation in employment for the disabled.
The EOC also helps disabled students with admission-related counseling and filling up of scholarships forms. The cell currently provides short-term courses in Sign Language Interpretation, Communicative English and Information and Computer Technology. Forms for these courses are available online and can also be filled offline at the EOC.
The university has started providing smartphones and smart canes to visually impaired students. Advance book-reading technologies have been installed to help blind students. Most students with disabilities have been given laptops, 'plextalk' recorders to tape lectures, which can then be converted to PDF format to give blind students Braille copy of the notes.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Share funding details, court tells political parties
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News