Delhi University offers short term courses for the disabled
The Equal Opportunity Cell of Delhi University has three short-term certificate courses for the disabled and these are mainly open to Delhi University students.
These courses are offered at the Faculty of Arts, and are for a period of 3-6 months.
This year the university has received over 1,700 applications for undergraduate programmes from students who have either physical, intellectual or behavioral disabilities. As per the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act - 2016, the university will be providing 5% reservations in admissions and 4% reservation in employment for the disabled.
The EOC also helps disabled students with admission-related counseling and filling up of scholarships forms. The cell currently provides short-term courses in Sign Language Interpretation, Communicative English and Information and Computer Technology. Forms for these courses are available online and can also be filled offline at the EOC.
The university has started providing smartphones and smart canes to visually impaired students. Advance book-reading technologies have been installed to help blind students. Most students with disabilities have been given laptops, ‘plextalk’ recorders to tape lectures, which can then be converted to PDF format to give blind students Braille copy of the notes.
Watch in Sign Language
- The Gati initiative is enabling mainstream Mumbai schools to provide high quality, inclusive education
February 19, 2019
- Gujarat government launches important initiative towards early screening of learning disabilities
February 7, 2019
- Mumbai's Wilson College's certificate course in disability studies finds widespread support
February 5, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Headlines February 13, 2019 17 people killed in fire that broke out at Delhi hotel
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Events February 8, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News