Central Railways to start SMS helpline for disabled passengers
July 8, 2017
The Central Railways plan to start a new helpline system to look into the problems faced by disabled passengers and cancer patients.
This is after they received complaints that disabled passengers don't get help when they called the helpline number 9004411111. The Central Railways will start a system under which passengers just need to send an SMS on this number, which will then be forwarded to the concerned department.
When the message is received, it will be transferred to the concerned department for an immediate answer. The Bombay High Court had directed the Railways to provide facilities to disabled passengers travelling in local trains, including CCTV cameras inside reserved compartments, special seating arrangements on platforms and a helpline facility.
The court had also directed that the helpline be activated so that passengers can immediately WhatsApp or SMS about unauthorized commuters in the handicapped compartments and that the police should take immediate action.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Ride
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Encephalitis kills 108 people in Bihar
- Parasports June 18, 2019 ‘Keep striving until you achieve your goals’- My take by Vysakh SR
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Sherin & Neerada’s deep bond of friendship is rooted in understanding & respect
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Headlines June 14, 2019 PM Modi tells ministers to get to work on time
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News