Accessibility a major problem in the North East - Disability on Campus by Aatuk Hong Ha
I did my graduation at the ICFAI University in Nagaland. My main papers were in Marketing and Human Resource Management.
I was six months old when I came down with a fever. My parents took me to a local doctor who gave me an injection and some medicines and since then I have suffered a disability in my leg. My parents are illiterate and they did not seek the right medical help due to which I am in this condition.
I never faced any problems while attending college but I have very poor power and strength so I find it hard to compete with others. My teachers were very helpful and were always available when I reached out.
However, when it comes to access, things are quite poor in Nagaland. When I see the kind of facilities colleges in other cities have introduced, I wish some positive steps for the disabled were introduced here as well.
About the Writer
Aatuk Hong Ha is 25 years old and lives in Kohima in Nagaland. He recently finished his graduation.
Watch in Sign Language
- Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
December 10, 2018
- Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
December 9, 2018
- Bengaluru’s Namma Pride gets a thumbs up for its accessibility features
December 9, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 5, 2018 Fun, meaningful ways that World Disability Day was celebrated across India
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Intellectual Disability
- Headlines December 7, 2018 Deepika Padukone made 112 crore this year, makes it to top 5 of Forbes’ list
- Accessibility December 10, 2018 Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
- Headlines December 4, 2018 Jet Airways cancels 14 flights as pilots didn’t show up for work
- Get-hooked December 9, 2018 Stay healthy & fit in a wheelchair. Here's how
- Get-hooked December 5, 2018 Disability Heroes - Deaf political candidate Sudeep Shukla is a sign of the changing times
- Events December 8, 2018 Poetry and Talent Nite at Mitr
- Headlines December 8, 2018 PM Narendra Modi meets UP Chief Minister on Bulandshahr violence
- Accessibility December 9, 2018 Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News