Accessibility a major problem in the North East - Disability on Campus by Aatuk Hong Ha
December 5, 2017
I did my graduation at the ICFAI University in Nagaland. My main papers were in Marketing and Human Resource Management.
I was six months old when I came down with a fever. My parents took me to a local doctor who gave me an injection and some medicines and since then I have suffered a disability in my leg. My parents are illiterate and they did not seek the right medical help due to which I am in this condition.
I never faced any problems while attending college but I have very poor power and strength so I find it hard to compete with others. My teachers were very helpful and were always available when I reached out.
However, when it comes to access, things are quite poor in Nagaland. When I see the kind of facilities colleges in other cities have introduced, I wish some positive steps for the disabled were introduced here as well.
About the Writer
Aatuk Hong Ha is 25 years old and lives in Kohima in Nagaland. He recently finished his graduation.
Watch in Sign Language
- Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
July 15, 2019
- Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
July 13, 2019
- Coimbatore City Municipal Corporation gets set to make buildings accessible
July 12, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 16, 2019 Trek to Chandratal Baralacha La
- Parasports July 14, 2019 Para chess champ Jennitha Anto does India proud yet again
- Events July 11, 2019 Inclusive Art Therapy Workshop
- Headlines July 11, 2019 India lose semi-final to New Zealand
- Headlines July 12, 2019 Virat shares message with fans after loss
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Sibaji Panda is bringing Indian sign language to the forefront
- Events July 11, 2019 Movement therapy sessions
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 #RareDiseases - Indian Rett Syndrome Foundation is raising awareness about this genetic brain disorder
- Get-hooked July 17, 2019 Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
- Events July 11, 2019 SignAlong - Sign language workshop
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News