Aviation Ministry directed to provide ramps for disabled at aircraft
Union minister Thawar Chand Gehlot has requested the Civil Aviation Ministry to provide ramp facility at the door of aircraft for the convenience of disabled passengers.
Gehlot said that people with disabilities find it hard to board aircraft at places where the aerobridge facility is not available.
In such places, people in wheelchairs have to be physically lifted and taken up the flight of steps leading to the aircraft. This is both an uncomfortable and a humiliating experience.
Gehlot said that some airlines provide a ramp facility instead of staircase, and this was a more convenient and dignified way of providing access to the aircraft. He has asked the ministry to order all airlines to make sure ramps are made available for at least one door of every aircraft.
As a part of the Accessible India Campaign, airports in the country are also to be made accessible for the disabled.
Watch in Sign Language
- Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
February 15, 2019
- Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
February 13, 2019
- Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
February 13, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Events February 9, 2019 The Learning Factory, a Musical Puppet Play
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Patients find centre stage in competencies aimed to develop disability-inclusive compassionate care
- Events February 9, 2019 Animal Assisted Therapy for Mental Well-being!
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Headlines February 9, 2019 Rohit Sharma becomes 1st Indian to hit 100 sixes
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Headlines February 11, 2019 ‘Gully Boy’ screened at Berlin Film Festival, gets positive reviews
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News