Aviation Ministry directed to provide ramps for disabled at aircraft
July 19, 2017
Union minister Thawar Chand Gehlot has requested the Civil Aviation Ministry to provide ramp facility at the door of aircraft for the convenience of disabled passengers.
Gehlot said that people with disabilities find it hard to board aircraft at places where the aerobridge facility is not available.
In such places, people in wheelchairs have to be physically lifted and taken up the flight of steps leading to the aircraft. This is both an uncomfortable and a humiliating experience.
Gehlot said that some airlines provide a ramp facility instead of staircase, and this was a more convenient and dignified way of providing access to the aircraft. He has asked the ministry to order all airlines to make sure ramps are made available for at least one door of every aircraft.
As a part of the Accessible India Campaign, airports in the country are also to be made accessible for the disabled.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News