High-tech wheelchairs distributed by Kerala government
July 22, 2017
In a move towards making Kerala disabled-friendly, 10 high-tech wheelchairs, developed by the Kerala State Science and Technology Museum, were distributed to people with disabilities during the launch of the Shubhayatra project.
The government believes that the Shubhayatra project is a major step in the welfare of the disabled.
The project aims at the early detection of and support in problems faced by people with disabilities, and to integrate them with the mainstream. A number of schemes had been formulated with this aim.
Funds had been set aside for setting up early intervention centres in all district hospitals. Twenty-five mobile units for detection of autism and cerebral palsy in children in rural areas and providing them physiotherapy and other treatment will be launched in August.
Camps for distributing assistive devices would be held in all districts using central government funds. The cost of development and building the motorised wheelchair is Rs 43,000. Some changes can be made to the wheelchair, so that it could be controlled by people with speech impairments.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 What Good Are We? - Guest column by Arun Dua
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 How to help a person with autism feel calm
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News