High-tech wheelchairs distributed by Kerala government
July 22, 2017
In a move towards making Kerala disabled-friendly, 10 high-tech wheelchairs, developed by the Kerala State Science and Technology Museum, were distributed to people with disabilities during the launch of the Shubhayatra project.
The government believes that the Shubhayatra project is a major step in the welfare of the disabled.
The project aims at the early detection of and support in problems faced by people with disabilities, and to integrate them with the mainstream. A number of schemes had been formulated with this aim.
Funds had been set aside for setting up early intervention centres in all district hospitals. Twenty-five mobile units for detection of autism and cerebral palsy in children in rural areas and providing them physiotherapy and other treatment will be launched in August.
Camps for distributing assistive devices would be held in all districts using central government funds. The cost of development and building the motorised wheelchair is Rs 43,000. Some changes can be made to the wheelchair, so that it could be controlled by people with speech impairments.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology August 18, 2019 Tech startup Wavio develops device that will help deaf people see sounds
- Headlines August 17, 2019 Karnataka boy felicitated for bravery
- Parasports August 15, 2019 Sekhar Goud is India's first triple amputee to scale Mount Elburus in Russia twice
- Events August 14, 2019 Special Buddies Program
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
- Education August 12, 2019 Special Educators Forum-India demands separate national education policy for children with disabilities
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Kellogg's Rice Krispies Treats' sensory love notes ease back to school transition for children with autism
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Tips to lead a healthy lifestyle when you are an amputee
- Employment August 13, 2019 Government move to roll back disability pension tax on retired soldiers welcomed
- Headlines August 16, 2019 PM Modi's Independence Day address - Key points
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News