High-tech wheelchairs distributed by Kerala government
July 22, 2017
In a move towards making Kerala disabled-friendly, 10 high-tech wheelchairs, developed by the Kerala State Science and Technology Museum, were distributed to people with disabilities during the launch of the Shubhayatra project.
The government believes that the Shubhayatra project is a major step in the welfare of the disabled.
The project aims at the early detection of and support in problems faced by people with disabilities, and to integrate them with the mainstream. A number of schemes had been formulated with this aim.
Funds had been set aside for setting up early intervention centres in all district hospitals. Twenty-five mobile units for detection of autism and cerebral palsy in children in rural areas and providing them physiotherapy and other treatment will be launched in August.
Camps for distributing assistive devices would be held in all districts using central government funds. The cost of development and building the motorised wheelchair is Rs 43,000. Some changes can be made to the wheelchair, so that it could be controlled by people with speech impairments.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education July 15, 2019 Viewing the draft National Education Policy 2019 through the disability lens - Guest column by Shampa Sengupta
- Headlines July 11, 2019 Karnataka political drama unfolds outside Mumbai hotel
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 “Stay positive to beat all odds” - My Take by Jomy John Joseph, disability rights activist
- Headlines July 11, 2019 India lose semi-final to New Zealand
- Events July 16, 2019 Living Well with Epilepsy: An Interactive Session
- Technology July 11, 2019 #TechThursdays - TouchVision SmartStand promises to be a game changer for visually impaired people
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 Parenting corner - Autism and Aggression
- Get-hooked July 17, 2019 Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
- Events July 11, 2019 Ask Me Anything
- Events July 11, 2019 Ensuring Safety of Children with Disability
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News