High-tech wheelchairs distributed by Kerala government
In a move towards making Kerala disabled-friendly, 10 high-tech wheelchairs, developed by the Kerala State Science and Technology Museum, were distributed to people with disabilities during the launch of the Shubhayatra project.
The government believes that the Shubhayatra project is a major step in the welfare of the disabled.
The project aims at the early detection of and support in problems faced by people with disabilities, and to integrate them with the mainstream. A number of schemes had been formulated with this aim.
Funds had been set aside for setting up early intervention centres in all district hospitals. Twenty-five mobile units for detection of autism and cerebral palsy in children in rural areas and providing them physiotherapy and other treatment will be launched in August.
Camps for distributing assistive devices would be held in all districts using central government funds. The cost of development and building the motorised wheelchair is Rs 43,000. Some changes can be made to the wheelchair, so that it could be controlled by people with speech impairments.
Watch in Sign Language
- Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
February 17, 2019
- Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
February 14, 2019
- Move to promote inclusion or mere gimmick? Disability-themed emojis for 2019 get mixed reviews
February 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Infosys Foundation announces Rs 10 lakh to families of martyrs of Pulwama attack
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Pakistani actors and artists banned by Indian film industry
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019