Kerala to help frame national guidelines in emergency training for disabled
July 29, 2017
In 2016, Kerala became the first state in India to launch a disaster preparedness-training program for the disabled.
Now the National Disaster Management Authority, which is framing guidelines for training people with disabilities on survival skills during natural disasters and other emergency situations, has asked Kerala for help.
Kerala will soon launch district-level training program for the disabled in the state. Around 200 disabled people from each district will be covered under this.
They have been categorized into four broad groups - visually impaired, speech and hearing impaired, physically impaired and intellectually impaired. 50 people under each category in a district will be trained.
In the case of the blind, the material has been reprinted in Braille and for the speech and hearing impaired, sign language-based training materials have been prepared.The materials have been converted into the DAISY format so that the blind can share the materials among WhatsApp groups and other platforms. In the case of the intellectually disabled, their caregivers will be trained.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Headlines April 15, 2019 IPL 2019 RCB wins 1st match
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News