Tamil Nadu government launches programs for the disabled
July 31, 2017
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister EK Palaniswami has launched a range of programs for the disabled, including distribution of retrofitted petrol scooters.
The scooters are distributed to disabled students and employees free of cost. The scheme will benefit over 1,000 people and cost about Rs six crore.
A scheme was also launched to provide modular reflective folding sticks to the blind. The folding sticks are equipped with latest technology to identify objects on all sides so that the user is properly guided while using the smart cane. Over 5,000 people will benefit from this.
Unique disability identity cards were also given away as part of a project that is being implemented with the central government. The aim is to create a national database for persons with disabilities.
The UDID cards will be the single document of identification and verification of the disabled for applying for benefits. The card will have all the necessary details, which can be decoded with the help of a reader.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Employment June 17, 2019 SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 These surprise gift boxes by Little Trovebox has people hooked
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News