Tamil Nadu government launches programs for the disabled
July 31, 2017
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister EK Palaniswami has launched a range of programs for the disabled, including distribution of retrofitted petrol scooters.
The scooters are distributed to disabled students and employees free of cost. The scheme will benefit over 1,000 people and cost about Rs six crore.
A scheme was also launched to provide modular reflective folding sticks to the blind. The folding sticks are equipped with latest technology to identify objects on all sides so that the user is properly guided while using the smart cane. Over 5,000 people will benefit from this.
Unique disability identity cards were also given away as part of a project that is being implemented with the central government. The aim is to create a national database for persons with disabilities.
The UDID cards will be the single document of identification and verification of the disabled for applying for benefits. The card will have all the necessary details, which can be decoded with the help of a reader.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News