How I am breaking the barriers of disability - My Take by Happiness Coach Sai Kaustuv Dasgupta
October 30, 2017
My Take this week is by motivational speaker and singer Sai Kaustuv Dasgupta
Like most children, I was drawn to dance. I would see some steps and imitate them successfully as it came from my heart. It was only when the doctor told my parents that dancing may not be a future possibility for me, that I realized I had a disability.
I found out that I had a rare disease which left me with a 90% disability and put limits on my ability to lead a regular life.
I have a disease called Osteogenesis Imperfecta and have already suffered over 50 fractures until now. My joints are fixed and I use an electric wheelchair to move around. I realized that I would never be able to dance and instead of letting that discourage me, I took up singing.
I sang at various prestigious events while living in Siliguri as a child and have received many awards from various organizations for my singing. I have regularly performed at AIR Siliguri and Doordarshan Kolkata as well.
I got many opportunities to perform before famous singers like Manna Dey, Anuradha Poudwal, Anup Jalota, and Rashid Khan. I have composed more than 150 songs and received training in Hindustani classical music from my mother, Shila Dasgupta.
At present, I am doing research on accessibility and how to make it better. I want to work with concerned authorities and hold awareness programs so people are educated about this aspect.
I need support and strength to spread the light of hope to all those people who have confined themselves due to lack of accessibility in their places.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News