I Stand Tall Despite my Short Height - My Take by Himanshu Bakshi
In My Take this week, chartered accountant Himanshu Bakshi talks about how he overcame challenges of dwarfism to lead a successful, happy life.
People who are physically challenged are sometimes wrongly regarded as unable to make a contribution to society in any meaningful way.
Take the example of my life. It is full of challenges everyday. When I step out of my home I see people laughing at me and making cheap comments. I have even seen an educated woman point towards me and tell her son that if he did not eat food, he would become like me.
Disability can become an opportunity. All it needs is strong willpower and dedication, and I believe that I have been able to prove to the world that these qualities matter much more than a strong body.
I have dwarfism. My height is 3 ft. 8 inches. It’s a disease that is seen is one among 25,000 people.
I lost my dad when I was in my final year of chartered accountancy. It was the lowest point in my life as my father’s dream was to see me become a CA. I fulfilled his dream but he was not there to see that day. My mom is my biggest pillar of strength and source of inspiration.
I know how much my efforts matter because I have written most of my exams standing for three hours, as the benches were too big for me.
I am a national level current affairs debater, have been part of TV talk shows and write regularly for newspapers. I have also featured in fashion magazine MAXIM’s anniversary issue. I am a TEDx speaker and have addressed many forums.
There is a saying that if God takes away something from you, He replaces it with something you never imagined. I believe that s evident in my life.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Events February 20, 2019 Paintability!
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019