I Stand Tall Despite my Short Height - My Take by Himanshu Bakshi
September 5, 2017
In My Take this week, chartered accountant Himanshu Bakshi talks about how he overcame challenges of dwarfism to lead a successful, happy life.
People who are physically challenged are sometimes wrongly regarded as unable to make a contribution to society in any meaningful way.
Take the example of my life. It is full of challenges everyday. When I step out of my home I see people laughing at me and making cheap comments. I have even seen an educated woman point towards me and tell her son that if he did not eat food, he would become like me.
Disability can become an opportunity. All it needs is strong willpower and dedication, and I believe that I have been able to prove to the world that these qualities matter much more than a strong body.
I have dwarfism. My height is 3 ft. 8 inches. It's a disease that is seen is one among 25,000 people.
I lost my dad when I was in my final year of chartered accountancy. It was the lowest point in my life as my father's dream was to see me become a CA. I fulfilled his dream but he was not there to see that day. My mom is my biggest pillar of strength and source of inspiration.
I know how much my efforts matter because I have written most of my exams standing for three hours, as the benches were too big for me.
I am a national level current affairs debater, have been part of TV talk shows and write regularly for newspapers. I have also featured in fashion magazine MAXIM's anniversary issue. I am a TEDx speaker and have addressed many forums.
There is a saying that if God takes away something from you, He replaces it with something you never imagined. I believe that s evident in my life.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News