Basic requirements for an accessible building
August 17, 2017
The construction of buildings in India is still done without any thought about the needs of the disabled people and the elderly.
Even after the passage of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill- 2016, the life of disabled is not being considered in the modern society.
Some simple designs can make the buildings accessible. Here are the basics to be considered.
Side bars on the walls of a common passage or lobby.
Easy signage and Braille signage to guide the hearing and visually impaired.
Wide staircases for disabled and separate lift or a separate ramp for wheelchair users.
Wide doors for apartments and at least one toilet that is big enough for wheelchair users.
Taps, handles, knobs, light switches should be at lower level for easy access.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Chennai hit by worst water crisis
- Events June 20, 2019 Special buddies program (Intermediate group)
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Zakker Hussain’s relentless commitment to social work is admired by many people
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Rahul Gandhi criticised for mocking Dog Squad yoga picture
- Events June 20, 2019 Anxiety Disorders & Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Events June 20, 2019 With This Ability - Comedy and Conversation with Sweta Mantrii
- Education June 21, 2019 American College in Madurai introduces disability studies in syllabus
- Headlines June 26, 2019 11 arrested in Jharkhand lynching case
- Events June 23, 2019 Certificate Course on Down Syndrome
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Dhoni must keep playing, says ex Aussie cricketer
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News