Basic requirements for an accessible building
The construction of buildings in India is still done without any thought about the needs of the disabled people and the elderly.
Even after the passage of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill- 2016, the life of disabled is not being considered in the modern society.
Some simple designs can make the buildings accessible. Here are the basics to be considered.
Side bars on the walls of a common passage or lobby.
Easy signage and Braille signage to guide the hearing and visually impaired.
Wide staircases for disabled and separate lift or a separate ramp for wheelchair users.
Wide doors for apartments and at least one toilet that is big enough for wheelchair users.
Taps, handles, knobs, light switches should be at lower level for easy access.
Watch in Sign Language
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Headlines February 20, 2019 Army kills 3 JeM terrorists in Pulwama
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Pakistani actors and artists banned by Indian film industry
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 18, 2019
Get-hooked February 7, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News