Basic requirements for an accessible building
August 17, 2017
The construction of buildings in India is still done without any thought about the needs of the disabled people and the elderly.
Even after the passage of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill- 2016, the life of disabled is not being considered in the modern society.
Some simple designs can make the buildings accessible. Here are the basics to be considered.
Side bars on the walls of a common passage or lobby.
Easy signage and Braille signage to guide the hearing and visually impaired.
Wide staircases for disabled and separate lift or a separate ramp for wheelchair users.
Wide doors for apartments and at least one toilet that is big enough for wheelchair users.
Taps, handles, knobs, light switches should be at lower level for easy access.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 11, 2019 Mainstreaming Students with Autism
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Calcutta High Court rules in favour of medical student with mental disorder who was denied admission
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Education April 11, 2019 Chandigarh takes baby steps towards inclusion with new education policy
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
- Events April 11, 2019 Sibling Gathering
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News