Saarthak Educational Trust - helping thousands of disabled find jobs
October 13, 2017
Dr Jitender Aggarwal, a dentist, became blind in 2004 due to macular degeneration. After losing his sight, he realized the difficulties faced by the disabled in terms of opportunities.
He got trained to use screen readers, which are software programs that allow the blind to read text on computer screens. He then started a centre in Delhi called Saarthak Educational Trust where the disabled get trained to find good jobs.
Today his services are available in 21 states with six centres throughout India.
Saarthak has successfully placed 7,250 persons with disabilities in various fields across retail, BPOs, IT and hospitality, through all its centers in Chandigarh, Delhi, Gurgaon, Jaipur, Ludhiana, Mumbai and Lucknow.
Its Mumbai centre also trains over 80 students with various disabilities belonging to Below Poverty Line and middle-class families from around Mumbai, without charging them a rupee. The employability training program lasts for three months.
In the last 15 days of training, students are taught about the do's and don't's at their place of work and counselled. Saarthak has over 300 hiring partners across India, and the centres line up interviews for students. Once they get selected and start working, a rigorous six-month follow-up is maintained.
To contact Saarthak Educational Trust, click here - http://www.sarthakindia.org.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News