Give us opportunity & courtesy, not sympathy, says Harry Boniface Prabhu, father of wheelchair tennis
Harry Boniface Prabhu is loved and respected as the father of wheelchair tennis in India. He is also founder of the Indian Wheelchair Tennis Academy in Bengaluru, which promotes disabled people by giving them opportunities to nurture their talents.
"My parents never treated me differently and I think that gave me strength and determination", says Prabhu. He got to know about wheelchair tennis during an event in the United Kingdom, and started playing when he came back to Karnataka. "I started taking part in tournaments, and was Asia’s number one player from 2005 to 2011." A remarkable achievement given how little support para sports received from the government or public at the time.
Prabhu has won 19 career titles, featuring in the finals of all the grand slam tournaments. He is also a three-time national champ in javelin, table tennis and carom.
"I was the first medal winner at the 1998 international world para championships, and I am very proud of that win because until then independent India had never won a medal in world championships", says Prabhu.
Unhappy with a system that does so little to support para athletes, he decided to start a wheelchair academy in 2002. "The aim is to help all disabled people play a sport without worrying whether they will get support from the system."
The academy is doing well in India at the national level with centers in Mumbai, Pune, Chennai, Kochi, Delhi and Bengaluru.
Prabhu also did the Thums Up Veer K2K drive from Kashmir to Kanyakumari to support the government's Accessible India initiative. "We need courtesy and opportunity, not favours", says Prabhu. "There is just one training centre for the disabled, which is not enough. Everyone has potential and the system must encourage him or her.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Get set for an explosion of art & culture in accessible forms at the Serendipity Arts Festival
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Resolving 26/11 Mumbai attacks is in Pakistan's interest, says Imran Khan
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Top world celebs at Isha Ambani’s pre-wedding festivities
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Badminton players Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap are married
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Miracle on Wheels is transforming lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India
- Accessibility December 9, 2018 Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Come 16 December, Bengaluru will host a car rally for awareness on autism
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News