Here's how Indian Railways is trying to become disabled friendly
October 13, 2017
To provide better facilities to the disabled, the Indian Railways has taken many steps. The steps have been categorized as long-term and short-term facilities to be provided at A1, A and B category stations.
To help the elderly and disabled use stations comfortably and quickly, 394 escalators at 167 stations, and 219 lifts at 100 stations have been provided.
Over the next two to three years, 380 escalators at 133 stations and 427 lifts at 134 stations will also be set up.
The Railways have manufactured many disabled friendly compartments that have cabins and toilets adapted to the needs of people with disabilities and those traveling on wheelchairs.
Air-conditioned coaches that are accessible to the disabled and Braille signages for blind passengers are being set up in the new coaches. Authorities have also been told to make sure wheelchairs are available on platforms.
Battery Operated Cars at major railway stations for the disabled, elderly and ill passengers will be given on a 'first come first served' basis. To help passengers' book wheelchair and porter services, Yatri Mitra Sewa is being provided at major stations.
Short term facilities are - Standard ramp for barrier free entry, one toilet on the ground floor, two parking lots set aside for the disabled, one drinking water tap for PwD, non-slippery walkway from parking lot to building, a 'May I help you' booth, and signages of appropriate visibility.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Telephone services, Internet partially back in J&K
- Accessibility August 13, 2019 PM Modi's direction to develop app for disabled people welcomed
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Understanding Autism and Head banging
- Parasports August 15, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Disability led Madhusudan to discover a talent for wheelchair tennis
- Events August 14, 2019 Unity through Performing Arts
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Cold Eid celebrations in Srinagar as restrictions return
- Parasports August 16, 2019 Victorious India Divyang Cricket Team to land in Mumbai tomorrow
- Events August 14, 2019 Deaf short film Festival 2019
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Arrest warrant against Congress MP Shashi Tharoor
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Ex-minister Arun Jaitley on life support
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-Hooked August 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News