Here's how Indian Railways is trying to become disabled friendly
October 13, 2017
To provide better facilities to the disabled, the Indian Railways has taken many steps. The steps have been categorized as long-term and short-term facilities to be provided at A1, A and B category stations.
To help the elderly and disabled use stations comfortably and quickly, 394 escalators at 167 stations, and 219 lifts at 100 stations have been provided.
Over the next two to three years, 380 escalators at 133 stations and 427 lifts at 134 stations will also be set up.
The Railways have manufactured many disabled friendly compartments that have cabins and toilets adapted to the needs of people with disabilities and those traveling on wheelchairs.
Air-conditioned coaches that are accessible to the disabled and Braille signages for blind passengers are being set up in the new coaches. Authorities have also been told to make sure wheelchairs are available on platforms.
Battery Operated Cars at major railway stations for the disabled, elderly and ill passengers will be given on a 'first come first served' basis. To help passengers' book wheelchair and porter services, Yatri Mitra Sewa is being provided at major stations.
Short term facilities are - Standard ramp for barrier free entry, one toilet on the ground floor, two parking lots set aside for the disabled, one drinking water tap for PwD, non-slippery walkway from parking lot to building, a 'May I help you' booth, and signages of appropriate visibility.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Headlines April 15, 2019 IPL 2019 RCB wins 1st match
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News