How to support employees with disabilities
August 28, 2017
Like every employee, even employees with disabilities can be a great asset to the organisation if they are given the chance to develop their skills.
Companies that recruit employees with disabilities need to adopt inclusion practices and provide accessibility for employees with disabilities to help them perform their best at the workplace.
Here are some simple tips for employers to support disabled people at work.
Focus on the abilities of the employee with disability, instead of their disabilities or limitations.
Don't undervalue or overvalue a disabled employee's skills and most importantly don't make unspoken assumptions about your employees with disabilities.
Make sure to communicate regularly with employees with disabilities to understand who they are, what skills they have and what problems they may face while doing the task or job.
Guide them if they don't know or are unable to do a task or project. Communicate clearly to help them understand their work responsibilities and your expectations.
Keep the communication open, relaxed and be respectful in your conversations. Do not allow fear and stigma get in the way of developing positive relationships with disabled employees.
Create a friendly work environment where disabled employees are encouraged to ask for help or ask questions or share their feedback.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Love, Marriage & Disability - couples share their stories
- Events June 20, 2019 Mental Health Session
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Sustainable, eco-friendly vocational training for disabled adults, the Aarambh way
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News