How to support employees with disabilities
August 28, 2017
Like every employee, even employees with disabilities can be a great asset to the organisation if they are given the chance to develop their skills.
Companies that recruit employees with disabilities need to adopt inclusion practices and provide accessibility for employees with disabilities to help them perform their best at the workplace.
Here are some simple tips for employers to support disabled people at work.
Focus on the abilities of the employee with disability, instead of their disabilities or limitations.
Don't undervalue or overvalue a disabled employee's skills and most importantly don't make unspoken assumptions about your employees with disabilities.
Make sure to communicate regularly with employees with disabilities to understand who they are, what skills they have and what problems they may face while doing the task or job.
Guide them if they don't know or are unable to do a task or project. Communicate clearly to help them understand their work responsibilities and your expectations.
Keep the communication open, relaxed and be respectful in your conversations. Do not allow fear and stigma get in the way of developing positive relationships with disabled employees.
Create a friendly work environment where disabled employees are encouraged to ask for help or ask questions or share their feedback.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Over 200 dead in Sri Lanka blasts
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines April 12, 2019
Headlines April 19, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News