How to support employees with disabilities
Like every employee, even employees with disabilities can be a great asset to the organisation if they are given the chance to develop their skills.
Companies that recruit employees with disabilities need to adopt inclusion practices and provide accessibility for employees with disabilities to help them perform their best at the workplace.
Here are some simple tips for employers to support disabled people at work.
Focus on the abilities of the employee with disability, instead of their disabilities or limitations.
Don’t undervalue or overvalue a disabled employee’s skills and most importantly don’t make unspoken assumptions about your employees with disabilities.
Make sure to communicate regularly with employees with disabilities to understand who they are, what skills they have and what problems they may face while doing the task or job.
Guide them if they don’t know or are unable to do a task or project. Communicate clearly to help them understand their work responsibilities and your expectations.
Keep the communication open, relaxed and be respectful in your conversations. Do not allow fear and stigma get in the way of developing positive relationships with disabled employees.
Create a friendly work environment where disabled employees are encouraged to ask for help or ask questions or share their feedback.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility February 11, 2019 Citizen activism pays off, gurdwara in East Delhi takes steps to make worship accessible for all
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Munambam Beach in Kerala all set to become disabled-friendly
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Events February 12, 2019 World Women's Day
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Events February 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News