India has the largest deaf community in the world
October 2, 2017
As per data, India has the largest deaf community of the world.
There are around 18 million deaf people in India according to official census. However, the numbers could be far more than this.
One of the biggest challenge faced by the deaf people in India is a lack of common language that hampers the communication.
Very few people have access to formal education and that limits their knowledge of language. There is also a huge shortage of sign language interpreters in the country and only 250 registered interpreters are there at present.
Even for those who get good education the wide gap between the hearing and deaf community still remains. This results in discrimination and less chances of growth.
It is very important to make Indian Sign Language official to bring deaf people at par with others.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 20, 2019 Workshop on Behaviour Therapy
- Headlines June 25, 2019 RBI Deputy Governor resigns
- Get-hooked June 20, 2019 Nandavanam centre is changing lives of disabled kids with a blend of tradition & compassion
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Aussie player Steve Smith praises Virat
- Accessibility June 22, 2019 With no hearing test facility at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital, disabled students miss NEET counselling
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Encephalitis kills 108 people in Bihar
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 New study highlights importance of educating & training for children with autism
- Technology June 24, 2019 New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News