India has the largest deaf community in the world
As per data, India has the largest deaf community of the world.
There are around 18 million deaf people in India according to official census. However, the numbers could be far more than this.
One of the biggest challenge faced by the deaf people in India is a lack of common language that hampers the communication.
Very few people have access to formal education and that limits their knowledge of language. There is also a huge shortage of sign language interpreters in the country and only 250 registered interpreters are there at present.
Even for those who get good education the wide gap between the hearing and deaf community still remains. This results in discrimination and less chances of growth.
It is very important to make Indian Sign Language official to bring deaf people at par with others.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 8, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019