India has the largest deaf community in the world
October 2, 2017
As per data, India has the largest deaf community of the world.
There are around 18 million deaf people in India according to official census. However, the numbers could be far more than this.
One of the biggest challenge faced by the deaf people in India is a lack of common language that hampers the communication.
Very few people have access to formal education and that limits their knowledge of language. There is also a huge shortage of sign language interpreters in the country and only 250 registered interpreters are there at present.
Even for those who get good education the wide gap between the hearing and deaf community still remains. This results in discrimination and less chances of growth.
It is very important to make Indian Sign Language official to bring deaf people at par with others.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 13, 2019 SC to hear Modi biopic case on 15 April
- Events April 15, 2019 NALS Adventure Camp
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Headlines April 11, 2019 Higher chances of peace with India if Modi wins: Imran Khan
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable India's deaf community to make an informed choice in this election
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Events April 11, 2019 Mainstreaming Students with Autism
- Events April 11, 2019 Gospel Concert
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News