This vision impaired athlete aims to get more blind people running
Australian para-triathlete Casey Hyde is blind but that does not stop her. She runs, rides, and swims while linked to a trained guide who helps to keep her on track.
Casey is the first blind woman to complete the Ironman Western Australia, which is a tough challenge, and she aims to get more vision impaired people out in their running shoes.
She hopes to set an example and encourage the blind to walk, jog and run as exercise is a great way to cope with depression, anxiety and stress.
Casey has helped launch two new vision-impaired running groups in the city of Brisbane in Australia as part of an organization called Parkrun. This organization holds free timed runs every week for several million people in 15 countries around the world.
Casey says that one of the biggest challenges is that many blind people have never seen anyone running, and if you have not seen it, you cannot do it.
As part of the training, the running guides are also blindfolded when they run. So far, the response to Casey's efforts has been quite good.
Watch in Sign Language
- Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
February 17, 2019
- Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
February 16, 2019
- First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
February 15, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Events February 17, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe- Session 3
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Headlines February 11, 2019 SBI warns customers on ATM frauds
- Headlines February 11, 2019 Robert Vadra takes to Facebook to share his story
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News