This blind man is helping the visually impaired play cricket
Like many Indian children, Ravi Wagh loved cricket. When he was five years old, he would be bowler, batsman, fielder, and even the commentator. It made no difference to him that he was blind.
Today, 40 years later, his passion for cricket is the same. A telephone operator based in Pune, Wagh has been elected unopposed for the second time as president of the Cricket Association for the Blind in Maharashtra.
Wagh says his lack of vision was never a problem for his family. He attended the Poona School for the Blind and played cricket with his brothers in his free time. He took part in each tournament for the blind at the college, university, district, state and national levels, and won many medals.
In 1998, he suffered a setback when he was not selected for the national cricket team for the blind. Since then, he has made it a mission to reach out to talented blind players in parts of Maharashtra and send them to the national team for the World Cup.
In 2011, Wagh set up the Cricket Association for the Blind in Maharashtra. He trains and coaches youngsters in Pune. Under his guidance, Dilip Munde from Marathwada made it to the national team for the T20 Blind Cricket World Cup in 2012. In 2014, Pune’s Amol Kharche was picked for the World Cup, and earlier this year, Anees Baig was selected for the T20 World Cup. India won all three trophies.
Watch in Sign Language
- Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
February 17, 2019
- Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
February 16, 2019
- First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
February 15, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Munambam Beach in Kerala all set to become disabled-friendly
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News