This blind man is helping the visually impaired play cricket
Like many Indian children, Ravi Wagh loved cricket. When he was five years old, he would be bowler, batsman, fielder, and even the commentator. It made no difference to him that he was blind.
Today, 40 years later, his passion for cricket is the same. A telephone operator based in Pune, Wagh has been elected unopposed for the second time as president of the Cricket Association for the Blind in Maharashtra.
Wagh says his lack of vision was never a problem for his family. He attended the Poona School for the Blind and played cricket with his brothers in his free time. He took part in each tournament for the blind at the college, university, district, state and national levels, and won many medals.
In 1998, he suffered a setback when he was not selected for the national cricket team for the blind. Since then, he has made it a mission to reach out to talented blind players in parts of Maharashtra and send them to the national team for the World Cup.
In 2011, Wagh set up the Cricket Association for the Blind in Maharashtra. He trains and coaches youngsters in Pune. Under his guidance, Dilip Munde from Marathwada made it to the national team for the T20 Blind Cricket World Cup in 2012. In 2014, Pune’s Amol Kharche was picked for the World Cup, and earlier this year, Anees Baig was selected for the T20 World Cup. India won all three trophies.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 13, 2018 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
- Events December 8, 2018 Poetry and Talent Nite at Mitr
- Accessibility December 11, 2018 The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Get set for an explosion of art & culture in accessible forms at the Serendipity Arts Festival
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 Some tips for dating when you have a disability
- Headlines December 15, 2018 India vs Australia - Decision to drop Jadeja criticised
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News