Preethi Srinivasan is first disabled woman to win Kalpana Chawla Award from Tamil Nadu government
Preethi Srinivasan was a national level swimmer when she was eight years old and was also the youngest to play in the Tamil Nadu women's cricket team.
Her life changed when she was 18 years old after an accident left her a quadriplegic and confined to a wheelchair.
Breaking the barriers of social stigma, Preethi set up a trust called Soul Free for people affected with spinal cord injuries.
She has now been honoured with the Tamil Nadu government's Kalpana Chawla award for courage and daring enterprise, the first disabled person to get this award in Tamil Nadu.
Soul Free is a public charitable trust that helps the severely disabled live a life of dignity and purpose.
It aims to spread knowledge on spinal cord injuries to every school, college and public so that people understand the seriousness of the condition.
Soul Free also aims to provide a support system for people with disabilities and their family via donations, education and job opportunities.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 13, 2018 DRIVE FOR AUTISM - A TSD CAR RALLY
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Society attitudes are a big threat for development of children with disabilities
- Headlines December 12, 2018 United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
- Headlines December 13, 2018 India vs Australia - Prithvi Shaw will miss second Test
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 Deaf people are gathering at Delhi's Jantar Mantar for a common cause
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Virat gets booed by fans in Australia, 'not done' says former Aussie player
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Why is Speech Therapy important? Some information
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 8, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News