3D software and printing makes prosthetic ear in short time
A team from the College of Engineering in Pune has developed a unique software that can make a 3D printed ear in just one week.
Usually it takes a month to make an artificial ear, but thanks to the newly developed Osto3D software by CoEP, that time was greatly reduced. The successful auricular prosthesis surgery was performed on a young girl last month. Doctors from the Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC) attached the artificial ear.
The team used CoEP’s 3D Make Lab for the project, which is a public access facility for 3D printing and other advanced technology. Students and companies can use the 3D tools in the lab to build on creative concepts and research.
Innovative software, like Osto3D are helping to reduce the time and cost usually required for medical procedures, and making artificial body parts more affordable.
The Osto3D software was developed after the team discussed necessary surgical requirements with doctors, and how much time is generally needed to convert CT scan data to 3D biomodels.
The Osto3D software helped the team copy Rucha’s ear in just hours, which helped a lot when it came to creating the prosthetic ear.
Watch in Sign Language
- Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
February 14, 2019
- Move to promote inclusion or mere gimmick? Disability-themed emojis for 2019 get mixed reviews
February 11, 2019
- BleeTV offers accessible, stimulating content, on demand, in Indian sign language
February 7, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Employment February 10, 2019 Program by DFID-UK, SCPwD & National Star College-UK equips trainers with strategies to promote workplace inclusion
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Get-hooked February 9, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News