3D software and printing makes prosthetic ear in short time
August 26, 2017
A team from the College of Engineering in Pune has developed a unique software that can make a 3D printed ear in just one week.
Usually it takes a month to make an artificial ear, but thanks to the newly developed Osto3D software by CoEP, that time was greatly reduced. The successful auricular prosthesis surgery was performed on a young girl last month. Doctors from the Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC) attached the artificial ear.
The team used CoEP's 3D Make Lab for the project, which is a public access facility for 3D printing and other advanced technology. Students and companies can use the 3D tools in the lab to build on creative concepts and research.
Innovative software, like Osto3D are helping to reduce the time and cost usually required for medical procedures, and making artificial body parts more affordable.
The Osto3D software was developed after the team discussed necessary surgical requirements with doctors, and how much time is generally needed to convert CT scan data to 3D biomodels.
The Osto3D software helped the team copy Rucha's ear in just hours, which helped a lot when it came to creating the prosthetic ear.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 18, 2019 Inclusive Art : Shifting From Neurotypical Frameworks
- Events July 18, 2019 RUN for Wheels Marathon
- Events July 16, 2019 Screening of MetaMorphosis
- Technology July 11, 2019 #TechThursdays - TouchVision SmartStand promises to be a game changer for visually impaired people
- Events July 11, 2019 Ensuring Safety of Children with Disability
- Events July 18, 2019 Conference – Deglobalishing Disability : Texts and Contexts
- Get-hooked July 18, 2019 #RareDiseases - Poor awareness & support among the challenges people with Sturge-Weber syndrome face in India
- Headlines July 18, 2019 Hrithik Roshan’s Super 30 made tax-free in Bihar
- Events July 11, 2019 Workshop: Behavior as a communication tool
- Parasports July 14, 2019 Para chess champ Jennitha Anto does India proud yet again
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News