3D software and printing makes prosthetic ear in short time
August 26, 2017
A team from the College of Engineering in Pune has developed a unique software that can make a 3D printed ear in just one week.
Usually it takes a month to make an artificial ear, but thanks to the newly developed Osto3D software by CoEP, that time was greatly reduced. The successful auricular prosthesis surgery was performed on a young girl last month. Doctors from the Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC) attached the artificial ear.
The team used CoEP's 3D Make Lab for the project, which is a public access facility for 3D printing and other advanced technology. Students and companies can use the 3D tools in the lab to build on creative concepts and research.
Innovative software, like Osto3D are helping to reduce the time and cost usually required for medical procedures, and making artificial body parts more affordable.
The Osto3D software was developed after the team discussed necessary surgical requirements with doctors, and how much time is generally needed to convert CT scan data to 3D biomodels.
The Osto3D software helped the team copy Rucha's ear in just hours, which helped a lot when it came to creating the prosthetic ear.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Hardik Pandya & KL Rahul fined Rs 20 lakh for comment on TV show
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News