Adopt-a-Para-athelete scheme started in Kolkata
August 29, 2017
To help para-athletes in India, the Civilian Welfare Foundation in Kolkata has started a scheme called 'Adopt a para-athlete' for a minimum of Rs 1500 a month for one year.
The money provided by an individual or groups will be directly sent to the athletes. The foundation also organized a Walk for Paralympics on 28 August in Kolkata.
To adopt para-athlete, one can contact 9830167177 or 9163308675. The scheme has attracted over 10 sponsorships from various Indians around the world.
In Kolkata, a super speciality hospital has agreed to adopt six para-athletes. These athletes can use the gym facilities, physiotherapy services and sport psychology services.
The program was launched by India's Rio Paralympics swimming team coach Prasanta Karmakar. He hopes that it would improve the confidence of the para-athletes.
India recorded their best performance in the history of the Paralympics when they finished with a total of four medals at the Rio Paralympics last year.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 “Stay positive to beat all odds” - My Take by Jomy John Joseph, disability rights activist
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Reports of rift within Indian cricket team to be probed
- Events July 11, 2019 Wilson’s Disease Support Group Meeting
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Hrithik Roshan’s ‘Super 30’ hits theatres
- Get-hooked July 12, 2019 A born artist, Mashood believes in living life, king size!
- Get-hooked July 17, 2019 Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
- Parasports July 14, 2019 Para chess champ Jennitha Anto does India proud yet again
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News