Adopt-a-Para-athelete scheme started in Kolkata
August 29, 2017
To help para-athletes in India, the Civilian Welfare Foundation in Kolkata has started a scheme called 'Adopt a para-athlete' for a minimum of Rs 1500 a month for one year.
The money provided by an individual or groups will be directly sent to the athletes. The foundation also organized a Walk for Paralympics on 28 August in Kolkata.
To adopt para-athlete, one can contact 9830167177 or 9163308675. The scheme has attracted over 10 sponsorships from various Indians around the world.
In Kolkata, a super speciality hospital has agreed to adopt six para-athletes. These athletes can use the gym facilities, physiotherapy services and sport psychology services.
The program was launched by India's Rio Paralympics swimming team coach Prasanta Karmakar. He hopes that it would improve the confidence of the para-athletes.
India recorded their best performance in the history of the Paralympics when they finished with a total of four medals at the Rio Paralympics last year.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Black Hole image creator is a media star
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News