Differences are to be celebrated - My Take by Vanessa Ohri
October 30, 2017
In My Take this week, well-known playwright and theatre personality talks about her poem I Am Special that celebrates differences.
The idea of writing the poem called 'I am Special. So Are You', came from a school friend Ritika Sahni who heads Trinayani, an organization that is working towards building a disability-friendly world. Ritika said that they were looking for a poem that talks to regular children about disability as something that is part of life, and should not be regarded as strange.
This was Ritika's brief and the words came together very quickly. It is the simplest thing I have written but has gathered a lot of empathy and sympathy.
I have since used the poem at various places, including a workshop where there was no child with a disability and it touched many hearts. Someone might see shyness or lack of self-confidence as a disability, and I feel the poem has empowered many with this very simple message.
I was very touched and happy when the poem was chosen to be a part of the CBSE main course for Class 10 in the last edition for almost five years. Scholastic has also published it. In the book, there is a section on inclusive behaviour and this poem is in the first section that talks about it.
There was a very simple thing I wanted to communicate, which is that differences are to be celebrated, not condemned, and that what appears abnormal to you could be normal to me and vice versa. We are so ready to judge constantly because something is not normal to us.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Chennai hit by worst water crisis
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Get-hooked June 24, 2019 Children feel like superheroes in this lovely photoshoot initiative started by American couple
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Snehankit Helpline for visually impaired students is helping them shine in academics
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 New study highlights importance of educating & training for children with autism
- Headlines June 26, 2019 11 arrested in Jharkhand lynching case
- Events June 26, 2019 Morning of Fun
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Finance Minister to present budget on 5 July
- Get-hooked June 26, 2019 Nationwide contest seeks to unearth and showcase talented blind cooks
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News