Differences are to be celebrated - My Take by Vanessa Ohri
October 30, 2017
In My Take this week, well-known playwright and theatre personality talks about her poem I Am Special that celebrates differences.
The idea of writing the poem called 'I am Special. So Are You', came from a school friend Ritika Sahni who heads Trinayani, an organization that is working towards building a disability-friendly world. Ritika said that they were looking for a poem that talks to regular children about disability as something that is part of life, and should not be regarded as strange.
This was Ritika's brief and the words came together very quickly. It is the simplest thing I have written but has gathered a lot of empathy and sympathy.
I have since used the poem at various places, including a workshop where there was no child with a disability and it touched many hearts. Someone might see shyness or lack of self-confidence as a disability, and I feel the poem has empowered many with this very simple message.
I was very touched and happy when the poem was chosen to be a part of the CBSE main course for Class 10 in the last edition for almost five years. Scholastic has also published it. In the book, there is a section on inclusive behaviour and this poem is in the first section that talks about it.
There was a very simple thing I wanted to communicate, which is that differences are to be celebrated, not condemned, and that what appears abnormal to you could be normal to me and vice versa. We are so ready to judge constantly because something is not normal to us.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Headlines April 13, 2019 SC to hear Modi biopic case on 15 April
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News