Blind student contests for top post in Punjab University elections
September 1, 2017
Meet Badri Prasad, the 100% visually challenged student who is the vice-presidential candidate of the Punjab University elections for 2017.
Prasad says that he is contesting as disabled students are always sidelined and he wants to tell students that students with disabilities too have equal rights.
Badri lost his eyesight at the age of two after he suffered from chicken pox. He is a second-year BA student and his subjects are Hindi, music and political science.
He says there are nine blind students in his college and they decided to fight for their rights as they needed representation. While Punjab University charges no fee from visually challenged students, the college he goes to took full fee from such students when he took admission in 2016.
His mission is to work towards a full fee waiver. At present, only blind students below the poverty line are entitled to this benefit.
He wants to fight for writers during exams, and his association is also looking at the possibility of fielding a transgender student.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
August 21, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 17, 2019 UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
- Accessibility August 16, 2019 Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
- Parasports August 20, 2019 “Never give up, live life to the fullest”- My Take by triple amputee & Trekker Sekhar Goud
- Technology August 21, 2019 #InclusionChamps: Bleetech’s human-centric approach wins them Universal Design Award 2019
- Headlines August 22, 2019 BJP leader files complaint against Anurag Kashyap
- Technology August 20, 2019 New robots to assist sportspersons at 2020 Tokyo Paralympics
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 9 – Aug 16
- Headlines August 18, 2019 ‘Mission Mangal’ gets grand opening at box office
- Lifestyle August 22, 2019 Kurtas for men - Feast your eyes on some amazing designs
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Para shuttler Pramod Bhagat's Arjuna Award glory marred by lack of recognition for head coach
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News