Blind student contests for top post in Punjab University elections
September 1, 2017
Meet Badri Prasad, the 100% visually challenged student who is the vice-presidential candidate of the Punjab University elections for 2017.
Prasad says that he is contesting as disabled students are always sidelined and he wants to tell students that students with disabilities too have equal rights.
Badri lost his eyesight at the age of two after he suffered from chicken pox. He is a second-year BA student and his subjects are Hindi, music and political science.
He says there are nine blind students in his college and they decided to fight for their rights as they needed representation. While Punjab University charges no fee from visually challenged students, the college he goes to took full fee from such students when he took admission in 2016.
His mission is to work towards a full fee waiver. At present, only blind students below the poverty line are entitled to this benefit.
He wants to fight for writers during exams, and his association is also looking at the possibility of fielding a transgender student.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Employment May 19, 2019 At Indore workshop on workplace inclusion, corporates share learnings & inspiring stories
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - From anxiety to empowerment, the journey of Latha Venkatesan
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Hi-tech hearing implants must be followed by rehab programmes say experts
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Video of physically disabled Zomato delivery boy wins hearts on social media
- Headlines May 23, 2019 NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
- Headlines May 23, 2019 India launches new spy satellite
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Parenting Corner - Feeling Guilty
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 Understanding Chronic Pain
- Parasports May 20, 2019 Passion for sports keeps Amresh's spirits up through the worst of times
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News