A Ganesh Bappa that the blind can touch & see
September 5, 2017
The Sparsh Vinayak pandal at Kandivili in Mumbai has been specially designed for the blind.
Launched by TATA Nx, the pandal at Growels Mall in Kandivali has a specially made three-and-a-half-feet idol with tactile sensory aid to help the blind touch and feel their Ganpati Bappa.
Many visitors said that so far they had only heard from friends and family how Bappa looks like. But now they could actually feel him from the head to the feet and visualize him.
A few members of the World Cup-winning India National Blind Cricket Team, was invited to conduct the morning aarti this week.
The idol has been made by artist Raj Baide using materials like cotton, nylon and wax to provide tactile aids for the blind. Nylon ropes were also used for the decor.
The company behind the idea is 121 Experiences, which said that they felt Ganeshotsav is an inclusive festival and everybody should be able to participate.
They organized it in association with the Eye Bank Association of India, the National Association for the Blind and the Cricket Association of the Blind. They also reached out to all blind schools in the city to ensure maximum participation.
Through the pandal, they also want to increase awareness regarding eye donation and have already received 1.3 lakh pledges from people to donate their eyes.
The organisers do not plan to immerse the idol at the end of the 11-day celebrations, and instead will donate it to an NGO for the blind.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
- Events June 20, 2019 Certificate course in Assistive Technology Solutions
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 These school kids show all the potential of making it big in the world of art
- Get-hooked June 24, 2019 Disabled adults experience the healing touch of animals for the first time at a therapy session
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Jharkhand mob lynching victim dies, five arrested
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Aussie player Steve Smith praises Virat
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News