An app that may help the disabled shop remotely
A clothing outlet based in Pittsburgh in the United States called American Eagle Outfitters has developed an app that is helping people with disabilities enjoy a personalized shopping experience.
Called Beam, the app allows shoppers to look through aisles as sales teams point out different styles of dresses, jeans and shirts, holding them up to the camera. There are two tablets used - one that shows the clothes and the other that the shopper uses to communicate with the sales team.
Beam has been developed by American Eagle and an institute for kids with special needs. The idea is to help people who are physically unable to travel to a store, to virtually travel to a location to shop from their tablet or home computers.
The app is still being tested and will be rolled out in some time.
Watch in Sign Language
- Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
February 17, 2019
- Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
February 14, 2019
- Move to promote inclusion or mere gimmick? Disability-themed emojis for 2019 get mixed reviews
February 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
- Get-hooked February 20, 2019 Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019