This Chennai mechanic aims to enable the disabled to live independently
Shankar Jaikishan always had a strong interest in mechanics and would spend most of his time in the garage when he was a student.
His interest in retrofitting cars for the disabled started because of a childhood friend who has polio. Shankar wanted to make a vehicle for him so that he did not have to depend on anyone.
Today he owns a company called Shreevari Engineering Works, and claims to have retrofitted more than 800 vehicles for customers all over India till date.
His customers have different kinds of disabilities because of polio, cerebral palsy, spinal cord injuries etc. Shankar says it is the brain the drives the vehicle and not a person’s limbs. So he meets every client before he agrees to make a vehicle for them.
Shankar says the limitations and requirements of the disabled are different. So he first understands which which part of the body is strong. He says that those who have a strong upper body need stronger brakes while some might need lighter brakes as they can’t push their body much.
Shankar works with all kinds of cars from an Alto to a BMW. He also suggests cars to customers depending on how much they are willing to spend.
He says that this is not a business for him and that he does not want anyone to look at the disabled with sympathy. He wants to show that people with disabilities can lead an independent life.
Now Shankar aims to retrofit autos for the disabled as not all people with disabilities can afford a car.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajinikanth’s daughter Soundarya gets married
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News