This Chennai mechanic aims to enable the disabled to live independently
Shankar Jaikishan always had a strong interest in mechanics and would spend most of his time in the garage when he was a student.
His interest in retrofitting cars for the disabled started because of a childhood friend who has polio. Shankar wanted to make a vehicle for him so that he did not have to depend on anyone.
Today he owns a company called Shreevari Engineering Works, and claims to have retrofitted more than 800 vehicles for customers all over India till date.
His customers have different kinds of disabilities because of polio, cerebral palsy, spinal cord injuries etc. Shankar says it is the brain the drives the vehicle and not a person’s limbs. So he meets every client before he agrees to make a vehicle for them.
Shankar says the limitations and requirements of the disabled are different. So he first understands which which part of the body is strong. He says that those who have a strong upper body need stronger brakes while some might need lighter brakes as they can’t push their body much.
Shankar works with all kinds of cars from an Alto to a BMW. He also suggests cars to customers depending on how much they are willing to spend.
He says that this is not a business for him and that he does not want anyone to look at the disabled with sympathy. He wants to show that people with disabilities can lead an independent life.
Now Shankar aims to retrofit autos for the disabled as not all people with disabilities can afford a car.
Watch in Sign Language
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
- 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
December 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 13, 2018 6th India International Deaf film festival 2019
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Diabetes-related eye diseases is the leading cause of blindness in India, says study
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Election results from 5 states, massive disappointment for BJP
- Parasports December 11, 2018 Protest by Kerala para sportspersons to draw attention to struggle for facilities, funding
- Get-hooked December 16, 2018 Health Problems in children with Autism
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Supreme Court orders that there should be no further investigation on Rafale deal
- Headlines December 11, 2018 Farmer sells 2,000-kg onion for 6/-, sends money to top politician
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Three terrorists & seven civilians killed at encounter in Jammu & Kashmir
- Headlines December 13, 2018 India vs Australia - Prithvi Shaw will miss second Test
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 This Mumbai sports academy for disabled kids brings a spring to the steps & a smile
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018