This Chennai mechanic aims to enable the disabled to live independently
September 23, 2017
Shankar Jaikishan always had a strong interest in mechanics and would spend most of his time in the garage when he was a student.
His interest in retrofitting cars for the disabled started because of a childhood friend who has polio. Shankar wanted to make a vehicle for him so that he did not have to depend on anyone.
Today he owns a company called Shreevari Engineering Works, and claims to have retrofitted more than 800 vehicles for customers all over India till date.
His customers have different kinds of disabilities because of polio, cerebral palsy, spinal cord injuries etc. Shankar says it is the brain the drives the vehicle and not a person's limbs. So he meets every client before he agrees to make a vehicle for them.
Shankar says the limitations and requirements of the disabled are different. So he first understands which which part of the body is strong. He says that those who have a strong upper body need stronger brakes while some might need lighter brakes as they can't push their body much.
Shankar works with all kinds of cars from an Alto to a BMW. He also suggests cars to customers depending on how much they are willing to spend.
He says that this is not a business for him and that he does not want anyone to look at the disabled with sympathy. He wants to show that people with disabilities can lead an independent life.
Now Shankar aims to retrofit autos for the disabled as not all people with disabilities can afford a car.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 #AutismPower - Arun Prasad inspires young people with autism to live life independently
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News